2 Bodylift Questions: 1 about a change in sweating and 1 about ice packs for swelling.?

DJBiceps
on 10/28/16 6:35 am

I will be having the surgery by the end of the year and just the other day two random questions popped into my head.

The first is related to that i currently sweat very easily when exercising. At rest, i do not sweat but when working out, once i start sweating it is as if someone turned on a faucet. By my own observation/estimation i will be having anywhere between 8-12lbs of excess skin removed from my mid-section. I was wondering if this will affect how easily or how much i sweat?
I am thinking it would because i naturally am always at a warmer body temperature and i think the removal of this excess skin would slightly lower my overall body temperature which would require a little more (nothing drastic) effort for me to begin sweating.

My second question, which i will address to my doctors later, is would anyone who has had the surgery recommend getting a body ice pack to wear from time to time in order to reduce swelling and slightly speed up recovery.

Also, any advice pre- and post-op even unrelated to my questions would be greatly appreciated. As of now i am comfortable with my decision and the doctor i have chosen (after meeting with several). So i am in a comfortable place but i would rather have too much information than not enough.

emelar
on 10/28/16 8:35 am - TX

I'd be surprised if getting a LBL is going to have a significant impact on your sweating.  Some people just sweat more easily than others.  And most docs end up taking around 3-5 lbs of skin off, even in a full LBL.  Skin itself doesn't weigh much when it's not full of fat.  But you could have more - just don't be surprised if you don't.

I've never heard of ice being used to reduce swelling for a LBL.  Your doc may put you in a compression garment to keep the swelling contained, and some folks swear by some herbal supplements that I can't remember right now.

NYMom222
on 11/4/16 6:19 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Usually you wear compression garments to reduce swelling... it also makes moving around easier and less worry about damaging the work they've done. I never used ice.

I did not have a recliner so used one of those outdoor anti-gravity lounge chairs with a fluffy blanket thrown on it to help keep my legs elevated and reduce swelling.

I don't see how much LBL will change your sweating, unless you get it under your pannis...and except that you will be more comfortable in your body and move easier. What did change my sweating was when I had my arms/breasts done. I no longer have underarm hair and don't sweat- no need for deodorant.

You maybe surprised by how little the skin weighs. When you look at my before and after pictures, the volume is incredible it looks like I lost at least 20lbs but in reality the skin only weighed 4 1/2lbs. I did not have any LIPO.

I also had a $5 heavy plastic footstool for the side of my bed, made getting in and out easier- gave my feet a landing place as well as a pushing off place as in the beginning it is not that easy. I also found a medical cane helpful the first few days for both walking to the bathroom and having something to give me some leverage getting up and sitting down.

Lots of protein before and after. My surgeon recommends 100g a day protein one month before and at least one month after. Needed for healing...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active