Scars at 9 months :-(

ICG63
on 10/11/16 7:55 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

Leslie W.
on 10/12/16 6:36 am - Cobourg, Canada

Have you thought about laser treatments?  I get BBL and profractional laser to my scars. I don't get keloid but hypertrophic scars. Bbl helps with redness and profractional helps to smooth out scars. I started 3 weeks out. 

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
ICG63
on 10/12/16 6:59 am
Revision on 10/31/13

Thanks Leslie W.

Since Dr. Capella said to wait a year before discussing how to treat the scars, and I'm almost at 10 months, I think I'll wait until then. I'm assuming he will re-do many areas, and I'll have a better outcome when there isn't so much tension as it's healing.

Do you have before and afters to show the benefit of the laser treatment?

Thanks again!

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/16 10:05 pm

Don't feel too bad. I have serious scars on my face about a year post PS so I'm definitely going with laser treatments. 

NYMom222
on 10/16/16 1:10 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

There is no way of knowing what type of scar healer you will be until after the fact, unfortunately. I have seen other pics of Dr. Capella patients, and though the scars looked worse than some initially they did eventually even out. I know he uses a different technique than me Doc does for stitching... so that is probably why he wants to wait a year, knowing sometimes it just comes together later.

Binders at this point wouldn't help, but if you wanted to use a scar cream- this is the one Dr. Michaels gave us, only FDA approved one. I have rebought to continue using. I was also told to massage my scar line as I was using it.... massage helps break up the scar tissue.

Bio Corneum

Minus the scar issue your PS looks great...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Gwen M.
on 10/21/16 11:26 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You mentioned keloids in another post - is this actual keloiding or just scarring?  There's a difference.  If it's keloiding, steroid injections could help to reduce the appearance.  Also, if this is keloiding, you probably want to avoid additional surgeries as keloiding can happen internally and externally and once you are a keloider there is always the risk that you will keloid in the future.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ICG63
on 10/21/16 12:01 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

Thanks. I guess I need to do more research. I believe it is keloid scarring, as they were originally smaller, and have expanded. Some areas are practically invisible. So it's not consistent. That said some of the stitching initially was poor (backside especially), and I cannot imagine how that could have healed better. 

Definitely a process and a learning experience!

breathemusic
on 10/21/16 12:52 pm

I just did some googling on this because some of my scars look worse than others.... my arms especially and I had Dr. Michaels (Don't get me wrong, still LOVE his work and would highly recommend).  The Wiki entry showed pics for keloid scars but also mention hypertrophic scars, which is still that widening, but not quite as bad, etc.  I think my scars in some areas look more like that. And I'm in the same boat.  It's spotty.  I'll have a long line down my arm with a wide red scar and then a random spot or 2 where the skin healed perfectly and is barely visible right in the middle.  So I think it's really just how my body heals.  I will say that I'm 11 months out from the LBL, BL, and arm lift and my scars look very different in all areas. So I'm sure it's just how my stupid body heals.  Dr. Michaels even did steroid injections in my arms TWICE.  I think it might have helped a tad, but maybe would have done better if I'd gone to him about the issue sooner.  I think by the time I brought it up, it was probably too late.  BUT, the wiki entry (though who knows if that can be trusted!) did say that hypotrophic scars improve over 1-2 years from the "injury" and also that scar therapies may help.  So that's good news if it turns out that is the type of scar you have!

ICG63
on 10/21/16 3:59 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

Thanks breathemusic,

Your pics look great. It definitely seems like healing is a very individual process! Will look more about keloid v hypertrophic scarring.

MyBariatricLife
on 10/21/16 8:27 pm

I have hypertropic scars from my brachioplasty 3 years ago and they did not settle. I had to have v-beam laser to flatten them and lighten them up. That worked well.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active