Breast reduction

Uniquelyshay
on 7/28/16 6:01 pm

I've seen the plastic surgeon and we're shooting for a surgery date in 4-6wks. I wear a 42DDD+ bra (I'm 45, 4ft 11in and weigh 223lbs; having lost nearly 100lbs in 3yrs). My breasts are heavy, pendulous and cause mondo back pain, shoulder pain and even in cooler weather suffer with yeasty rashes... Yuck!

i am wondering if a tummy tuck, extra spare tire removed as I nearly constantly have ugly painful yeasty rashes under the flab fold. 

I have Medicare as well as Apple Health (I live in Washington state) so technically the surgeon does not need prior authorization for the reduction. 

Can both the reduction/lift and tummy tuck be covered by Medicare since I'm having the rashes below the tummy as I'm having under my breasts?

Thx, Shay

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/30/16 6:22 am, edited 7/29/16 11:27 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Are you closing in on your goal weight?  Your dr has examined you so he has prob discussed this with you - but when doing breast work, changes in weight make a difference.  You do not want to go through all that trouble, then loose another 50 pounds and have saggy breasts again. 

I don't know how Medicare works, but I would ask my surgeon about how the finances would work if Medicare does not cover it. Would you be on the hook for the cost????   If the conditions you describe are documented, you may get it covered or partially covered.  

From what I've heard, Medicare would only cover a pani (skin removal of the 'apron' that hangs down) not a tummy tuck (includes repair of the underlying muscles).  And Medicare may only cover the cost of a general surgeon doing the work, not a plastic surgeon.

I would see another surgeon ASAP for a second opinion before going forward, even if you love the first one. 

Sharon

Laura in Texas
on 7/30/16 7:34 am

Call your insurance company and ask them about reconstruction. If you still cannot get a straight answer, most surgeons have someone who deals with insurance and might be able to check for you. I would make sure you find out for sure before you have surgery or you may end up with a huge bill.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active