How do i get out of bed with posterior incision?

NYMom222
on 7/5/16 5:34 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I had a LBL and was in a bed. Never slept in a recliner. I actually had a footstool at the side of the bed, which gave me something to land my feet on as I swung my legs over. I also used a cane to help steady and move myself. Once I was in proper position I would get up (w/o footstool) and using cane to lean on. Getting back in bed I found the footstool useful as well, I was able to get myself further into the bed, and didn't have to move myself around once I was in it.

I also used one of those outdoor antigravity chairs as a recliner and just put a big fluffy blanket on it...didn't sleep in it, just to have another place to sit.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

MissNexxie
on 7/5/16 8:18 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

Thank you for the reply.  

So no issues or concerns with 'pulling' the back incision as you moved yourself into position to get out of bed?  I will have a compression garment on to minimize but want to find the right way to get up.  I'll have a wedge pillow so I'll be propped up a bit.  Did you have trouble moving in bed?

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

NYMom222
on 7/5/16 9:01 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I used a wedge as well and had a compression garment. Called them my industrial knickers.

First three days were the hardest in the moving department. I did find the cane very useful. I could roll on my side toward the edge of the bed, and then use leverage from pushing on the cane to roll into a sitting position. In the first three days my friend had to help lift my legs back into the bed.

Dont know what pain killers you will get, but I took something every 2 hours, oxy-valium-tylenol -- repeat...

My incisions were fine, no problems

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

gladys_brown
on 10/4/16 10:10 pm

Having a recliner would be the best solution to your dilemma, my dear.

Most Active