Does insurance ever pay for plastic surgery?

Karen D.
on 5/23/16 10:09 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I know all companies are different, but what has your experience been?  Out of pocket or insurance helped cover?

If out of pocket, would anyone be willing to share their costs and what you had done?

Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/16 11:33 am

If you have a documented history of rashes and such they might.  But usually face, arms, legs, and breasts... no.

Karen D.
on 5/23/16 6:07 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Thank you!  I'm looking for the lower half eventually.  Still not at my goal yet but my doc says we'll talk in 6 months about it.  

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/24/16 7:17 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I googled my ins and surgery - it was a no go.  Mine required a physical limitation caused by the problem - so maybe a few of the people on TV with hanging masses that clearly inhibit walking might qualify, but the average run-of-the-mill loose skin will not.   Some people have said that if the hanging skin causes rashes, and that is well documented, you might get somewhere, but not that I could see it a sure thing.

I easily found my ins co policy on line.  You could prob find yours and see what it says. 

In the meantime, keep your protein up. The PS I talked to want you in the 80 gms a day range for good healing.

Sharon

sonnieN
on 5/24/16 8:24 am - grand rapids, MI

You have to look up your particular work's policy thru the insurance as each company can put on separate riders for different things. I have United Health care & my company has a specific clause that excludes it but you my also have UHC and it covers it.

I did get my Panni portion of my LBL covered which then also included the hospital stay. I looked it up on my works website for insurance as well as called to find out the particulars. Calling is what helped me as I had to appeal as I wasn't 18 months out from my RNY but when I called they told me to just go have the surgery and submit it. I did have my PS assistance and wrote letters saying and documenting how far down the panni helped. 

Now my current insurance has a specific clause in it saying they will not cover reconstructive surgery for any reason due to weight loss surgery or extreme weight loss.

Boxerlover3452
on 5/28/16 12:48 pm
RNY on 06/06/16

I think it's really a shame that most insurance companies won't cover ps after weight loss.  #1 it's ugly to have all that loose skin, #2 it does cause rashes etc. and #3 it would be psychologically helpful.  If someone can get a sex change and have insurance cover it for their mental well being, then why can't we have PS covered by insurance or at least a portion of it, preferably half or better.

SkorpioChik
on 5/29/16 10:43 am, edited 5/29/16 3:43 am - VA

Hi Karen,

I had issues with trying to get my insurance to cover my much needed tummy tuck and arm lift.. My PCP kept giving me the run around. I complained about rashes under the hanging tummy I had and he suggested I use anti fungal cream (the cream used for athletes foot).. Of course, me not knowing any better, I tried the cream. It just burned and made the rash somewhat worse and more itchy. So ultimately, I changed to a new PCP. Long story short, the new PCP did the same, gave me the run around also. I was fed up by then and opted to pay out of pocket. I just had a tummy tuck and arm lift on May 20, 2016. My total cost was $14,275... Surgeon fee: $11,070, Hospital fee: $1980 and Anesthesia fee: $1225. My surgery was performed in Fairfax, Virginia.  Hope this helps!

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/16 4:49 am

Hello,I want to know more about cosmetic surgery..

Most Active