LBL - Dr. Capella on 6/27

Cindy Cooney
on 5/21/16 3:12 am - NJ
DS on 06/30/14

Your pictures look amazing!  I have some questions - did he have you wear compression garments?  Also what was the schedule for the follow up post operative visits?  I know that the recovery are the surgeries are difficult, I am wondering what I can do ahead of time to prepare if there is anything at all.  

RNY - 3/26/14

HW - 380

CW 0 259

DS - 7/30/14

HW - 285

CW - 264.4

Dr. Greenbaum

ICG63
on 5/21/16 9:15 am
Revision on 10/31/13

Thanks Cindy! I cam out of surgery with a compression vest type thing. Dr. C wanted me to shower after (I think it was) 48 hours, and after that no vest, no compression! It's amazing the range of prescriptions from different docs! I was comfortable with this. If you haven't read my earlier post surgery posts, maybe they would offer more advice. It already is fading in my memory. One thing I do remember is finding wearing a soft cotton robe with pockets was helpful. Put it in the dryer and on right after shower and pat dry. I wore it inside out when I was down to 2 drains on my hips and they went in the pockets. When I had all the drains (the most uncomfortable phase--5 drains), I wore a lanyard and pinned them on to it. (I think I posted a pic). So in the beginning I was basically nude except for a long soft cardigan or robe. Pulling up any kind of pants was awkward and uncomfortable. 

I believe I was in at one week out for 3 drains out and then at 2 weeks the remaining 2 drains out. Then maybe 4 weeks or 6? Check my posts for this. By the way, I do remember they would fit me in no problem if I had a question or concern. I sent pics a few times, or came in. Now I can't remember why, but they are there for you, and that is VERY reassuring when you are feeling things you've never felt before.

Good luck!!

ICG63
on 5/21/16 9:16 am
Revision on 10/31/13

typo I "came" out of surgery ...

Cindy Cooney
on 5/21/16 9:34 am - NJ
DS on 06/30/14

Thank you.  This is helpful.  Think I will find a soft cotton robe to wear.  I am trying to think what would I wear to the hospital - sweats or something that can easily put on.  I thought of a summer skirt that is elastic  I knew that in one week he removed some of the drains, but I wasn't sure of the time schedule.  I would like to go to Vermont and recover there for the summer.  I know I will not be kayaking, but I thought about sitting on the deck watching the sunset over the lake would be therapy.  He probably does 4 weeks.  Guess I will see when this all happens.  I know this will be difficult and I do not look forward to the recovery.  

RNY - 3/26/14

HW - 380

CW 0 259

DS - 7/30/14

HW - 285

CW - 264.4

Dr. Greenbaum

ICG63
on 5/21/16 9:50 am
Revision on 10/31/13

I wore loose pull up pants, but honestly, coming out of the hospital they were totally awkward with the drains and the vest... Just have a wrap or long shirt (button down) or trench ? It helps when you are in the middle of the discomfort to thing of the big picture, and in the scheme of things this is a blip of time, and you are heading toward something so positive!!! I've also had surgeries for appendix and adrenal tumor, where it's no fun at all and also no visible benefit! LOL Like having to replace your roof instead of build a beautiful deck! In other words, we are lucky to be able to be doing this!! Good luck!! Enjoy Vermont!

Cindy Cooney
on 6/9/16 12:02 pm - NJ
DS on 06/30/14

I went to his office today and signed all the consents.  When I got to his office, he had up my pictures.  To see yourself is horrible.  I know anything at this point is an improvement.  We went over risk and statistics.  I am not worried, because I am in good hands.  I bought a $12 maxi dress at Walmart.  I am going to rock that dress when I go to the hospital and it will be fine to wear home.  Loose fitting, will go over my head and I do not care if it gets ruined.

I just have to get a cardiac clearance and my appointment is for next week.  Just a small concern is giving myself injections for the blood thinners.  But it will be so worth it and I will get over this hump quickly.  So we are just 2 weeks from this Monday.  This is too exciting!

RNY - 3/26/14

HW - 380

CW 0 259

DS - 7/30/14

HW - 285

CW - 264.4

Dr. Greenbaum

Most Active