Tip for when you have drains after surgery

ICG63
on 2/6/16 3:26 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

In the last few days of 2 weeks with drains I figured out that when wearing a robe inside out, the drains can be kept in the pockets! Or a cardigan inside out.. 

Laura in Texas
on 2/7/16 5:50 am

I clipped mine to a lanyard around my neck. When I took a shower, I put the lanyard on a hanger and hooked it to the top of the shower door. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ICG63
on 2/7/16 6:59 am
Revision on 10/31/13

That's a great solution too. When I had 5 drains, I used a lanyard, but when I was down to 2 on my hips, the inverted robe/cardigan was perfect.

By the way Laura in Texas, you are an inspiration! I just took a look at your photos and I'm so impressed with all your hard work and consistency over the years. In addition to a lot of exercise (your body is amazing!),you must have done a lot of work mentally too to keep the food part of your life in its proper perspective. I wonder if you have any tips today for how you have remained consistently at your target weight over the years?

I'm a relative newbie. Thanks for sharing. All the best to you and your family :-)

Laura in Texas
on 2/7/16 10:19 am

Thank you for your kind words. The mental part is definitely the hardest part. I think somewhere along the way something just "clicked" for me. Maintaining my weight and taking care of myself became a priority. I learned to put myself first. Mentally that keeps me at peace. That does not mean I do not indulge in pizza or sweets or things some deem off-limits but 90% of the time I make healthy choices. I know being obese was a very dark place for me and I cannot go back there. Plus I am about to turn 50 so right now I am super-motivated...lol!!

You are doing an amazing job, too!! Do not ever lose focus!! 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ICG63
on 2/7/16 12:11 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

Thanks Laura in Texas. I'm glad you remain motivated and keeping your priorities positive. 

I guess at 52, I've had such a long record of ups and downs with very short periods of maintaining a healthy goal. I had my first RNY surgery in 2001 and regained the weight. This did such a number on me, and even though it turned out (long story) that the inner anatomy had failed, and my regain was not all "my failure" , I am still digging out from under mentally . I am excited about where I am today and the attitude I have today, and hope I can keep my focus on that positive feeling and place, so stories like yours are invaluable! Thanks again.

Enjoy turning 50. I do believe things get better!

NYMom222
on 2/7/16 11:06 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Great tips! ... How are you feeling?

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

ICG63
on 2/8/16 6:25 am
Revision on 10/31/13

Thanks NYMom222 :-) I'm doing well. Today marks 2 weeks since surgery and I cannot believe how all of this can be done and I'm still here! Yesterday I took my first walk around the block, I've been able to work since 1 week out (from home on the computer, so not manual labor in any way). I'm off pain meds except for at night. Sleeping is still uncomfortable. I'm a side sleeper and although I was given the green light to do that, it is NOT comfortable. All in all though, I'm so glad and can't wait to see the swelling down further. I'm grateful for how things are going so far. I've forgotten, did you get your surgery date? I know you chose a surgeon..? Hope you are well :-)

finechocolate
on 2/9/16 8:31 am - Ayer, MA

Thank you  ICG63 for the tip. I will use it when I come home next week from TT! Hope you are doing and healing good!

LindseymAdams
on 2/12/16 7:42 pm

very smart 

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/16 8:56 pm

Most Active