Surgery tomorrow--any advice?

ICG63
on 1/24/16 8:12 am
Revision on 10/31/13

I'm excited and nervous about surgery tomorrow ( body lift, mastopexy, flankplasty, and brachioplasty) with Dr. Capella. I think I'm organized and ready, but wondering if anyone has advice for getting the house ready for my return? Anything you wish you had done differently? Luckily my husband can help me, so I'm feeling as confident as I can. I just hope Dr. Capella and his team are having a good day! Thanks!

Laura in Texas
on 1/24/16 8:32 am

I had plenty of ready-to-drink protein shakes on hand. I was not hungry but knew I needed protein to aid in healing. My stomach muscles were pulled so tight that it was several weeks until I could eat much solid food. Happy healing!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ICG63
on 1/24/16 11:51 am
Revision on 10/31/13

Thank you!!

finechocolate
on 1/24/16 12:53 pm - Ayer, MA

Hello ICG63,

I'm sure that you are well prepared. I just wanted to wish you good luck and to let you know OH family will be thinking of you tomorrow! 

Fine Chocolate

ICG63
on 1/24/16 5:38 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

Thank you so much Fine Chocolate! Your kind words are very appreciated :-)

NYMom222
on 1/26/16 7:29 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Realizing you aren't going to see this until afterwards... hoping all went well and can't wait to hear the updates.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

ICG63
on 1/28/16 3:01 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

Thanks all for the kind words of support. I'm home and healing well --Yay!

I'm sure if I don't share details now, they will slip away, so here goes. (FYI, I am on meds and wiped out, so forgive me if it sounds convoluted/disorganized);

Checked in 8:45 am at Hackensack University Medical Center. Treated well by all. Dressed in a gown and then waited with my husband. Kind of a long time, so that's difficult to keep in check your emotions. I know he had a surgery before mine, so you wonder if it's going well...don't want him to rush..or work too hard so he's tired when it's my turn (for a 6 hr surgery!). Had an experience once before when I was waiting all day (no food water) and the surgery before me got complicated, so ran way long. Finally the surgeon came to me and said we could still go, or wait for tomorrow. All I thought was that I want him to be at his best and well rested etc.. So was grateful that this doc was not such and "A type" that he wanted to power through. Anyway, even though a big drag to leave and do it all again in the morning, that's what we did!

So back to Monday. Anesthesiologist came in around 10:30, all good, DR Capella a bit later with 2 residents. He was nice and asked before bringing them in if they could observe him marking me up. I didn't know it then, but did feel kind of a "vibe", that his surgical assistant of 8 years had called in sick that day--first time ever--I found out later!! OMG. Capella put me at ease (which is a lot as he must have been managing this last minute news with some challenges)--so I felt like all was ok. I still am not sure if these guys were the ones who helped out, but apparently my surgery still stuck to the schedule at 6 hrs, and a resident did help with stitching.

Woke up without trouble in recovery. Abdominal binder, bandages around arms, bra and bandages, 5 drains. Nurses all just great, knowledgeable, kind. No nausea. Eventually transitioned/transported to hospital. Again great nurses and staff. My husband was with me, but I probably could have been alone. They were responsive in a timely manner which is so important when you are so vulnerable. Had the leg cuffs on (massaging to avoid clots) and spent the whole night (24 hrs) in bed with catheter. That came out in  the morning. Sleep was not great. Pain was not unbearable, but ugh. Kinda loud, but I guess that's just life in a hospital. Can't say enough about nurses and aides.

JeanWilhite
on 2/5/16 3:30 am

Great news.

Most Active