Out of country vs. US (with pic)

RNY0615
on 1/18/16 6:38 am, edited 1/18/16 6:55 am

I'm only 6.5 months out so it's too early but I'm trying to plan my budget.  My arms are ridiculous and I will absolutely without a doubt need to get an arm lift. It's getting out of control.  My torso now fits a medium- some smalls but I have to wear large shirts that are baggy everywhere else and fit my arms.  

Anyway,  I've been looking and it seems I can save a few grand in either Mexico or the Dominican Republic.  Is my research correct?  Has anyone gone out of the country for their plastics?  Reviews/advice?

I know you don't want to skimp when it comes to plastics,  BUT I went with my brother when he had his DS in Mexico, and I was blown away by the customer service,  professionalism,  and cleanliness.  The whole process was pretty impressive.  If plastics are comparable to that experience,  I wouldn't mind.  

This whole surgery is freaking me out though and I hate that I'll need it.  My RNY was my first surgery and the pain initially was far greater than I imagined.  It didn't occur to me that they'd be cutting through my abs! I mean,  I knew they had to,  I knew where the cuts would be,  I just didn't connect that to pain.  To see the very long incisions and their location for the arm lift really makes me nervous!  

Also,  I live alone and don't have anyone close enough to ask to stay with me to aid in my recovery.  I know I'll need help,  but will I be ok on my own and just calling someone to help with the dressing every few days?  Or will I need to actually find someone to stay with me?  And for how long will I need assistance?  How long out of work? I don't lift anything but I move around a lot and reach for things. 

Also,  I'm about 20 pounds from goal,  and plan to reach it in March or April.  Would June be too early for an arm lift?  June is the best time with my schedule, so it would either have to be this June or wait until next.  I'm anxious and don't know if I can wait! 

I've included a photo,  but I've never posted one before,  not sure I did it right.  

Tracy D.
on 1/18/16 1:23 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You want to wait at least 6-12 months after hitting goal weight before going under the knife for plastics.  You will have some retraction of the skin/re-distribution of remaining fat during that time.  Your arms may get better...or worse.  You don't want to do surgery too soon! 

As for Mexico, if you do your research I think you can expect reasonably good results from a Mexican surgeon.  I almost went down there for my LBL but changed my mind. 

As for how much help you'll need, that all depends on which surgeries you get.  If you just do arms, you'll have to spend some time in Mexico but can probably handle things on your own at home. If you're going to do multiple procedures at the same time you'll be spending a lot more time in Mexico for recovery and might need some help with things with you get home.  Not continuous help but someone checking in on you.  

You're doing so great - congratulations! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

RNY0615
on 1/18/16 1:30 pm

Thank you so much for the response!  Looks like it will be June 2017, then.  Plenty of time to research.  Only planning on arm lift for now.  The rest of me is shrinking up ok.  My lower stomach has stretched and thin skin,  but no hanging down apron overlapping or anything crazy.  

NYMom222
on 1/18/16 10:23 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

There is a Board here for Dr. Sauceda from Mexico. He has quite a following. Everything I read was favorable, just couldn't put my head around going to Mexico.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

RNY0615
on 1/19/16 5:11 am

Thank you,  I'll look into that board.  I thought my brother was nuts and I was concerned about his decision to have his surgery in Mexico until we got there and I saw what it was.  I wouldn't even be considering it if I hadn't seen that.  

I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of travel and everything just to save a grand or two,  but if I can get a great quality surgeon for half the price,  I'm willing! 

acbbrown
on 1/22/16 6:21 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I went to Dr S and absolutely loved it and will only do my remaining work with him. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

star dust
on 1/20/16 10:10 am - Cumberland, RI
Adjustable Gastric Band on 06/01/16

I am researching going to Dr. Saucedo in Mexico also :) 

Laura in Texas
on 1/20/16 2:51 pm

I had my arms done a month after reaching my goal weight. No way in hell I could go one more day with old-lady arms. I figured my arms would not change much. I did wait to do my lbl/bl until I was sure my weight was stable.

I get lots of compliments on my arms, mostly from people who do not know I was ever obese or know I had plastic surgery on them, so my surgeon must have done a good job 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

RNY0615
on 1/20/16 3:19 pm

I've heard of some peeple doing it right when they hit their goal or even just before.  I'm kind of on the same boat! I don't think I will need an LBL, but my arms are making me crazy!  I'm tired of wearing baggy clothes and nothing sleeveless!  

Thank you for your response! 

MyLady Heidi
on 2/22/16 6:09 pm

I say get it done when you reach goal, if it's stretched out and gross and its summer why be miserable for another year.  It was easy to me, no drains and not much pain compared to my tummy tuck.  It's been years since I had it done and I don't regret it for one minute.

Here is a selfie from my wedding last year.

Most Active