how much weight did you lose from plastic surgery?

sherreis
on 12/26/15 7:10 am

HI. I am thinking ahead about my weight loss journey. I know I will need plastic surgery after I am done - breast reduction and lift (insurance should hopefully pay for that)' tummy, arms, and thighs.  For those of you who have done it how much weight did you lose when you had all of this plastic surgery? Weight from the skin and anything else removed? 

Laura in Texas
on 12/26/15 9:54 am

I had around 5 pounds of skin removed when I had my lbl/bl. I was about 5 pounds above my goal weight for a few days then lost about 10 pounds, then eventually evened out at my goal weight. For most of us the weight of the skin removed does not show up on the scale long-term. If you are having a lot of fat removed, too, that may be a different story. Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

JA
on 12/28/15 2:44 am - East Haven, CT

I lost 8 lbs after my skin removal of my tummy.  Hardly anything with my thigh lift.  Depends on how much skin you have.

Tracy D.
on 12/28/15 11:34 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I initially lost about 7 lbs. from fat/skin removal but I've put 5 of that back on in the last few months.  You'll probably drop some pounds in the beginning because you're recovering from surgery and can't eat much.  But it probably won't last long-term. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Laura in Texas
on 12/28/15 7:24 pm

If you are trying to figure out your goal weight based on how much more you can lose with plastic surgery, I suggest not doing that. Skin does not weigh much and for most of us it seems to even out in the end. Pick a healthy weight for your height and reach for that during your weight loss. Anything lost from plastic surgery would be a bonus.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

LindseymAdams
on 2/12/16 7:55 pm

good advice          

Neesie57
on 12/28/15 7:42 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

My daughter had a Lower Body Lift last year and lost 16 pounds during surgery.  She has gained back about 10 pounds of that weight, so the other posters are right, it may not all stay off.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

breathemusic
on 1/5/16 2:51 pm

My doc said he removed about 5-6 pounds of skin so I was planning to remove about 5 pounds from my goal weight range.  So instead of being 165-170 I'd like to stay 160-165.  I'm about 2.5 weeks out and when I weighed myself 2 days ago I was down about 7 pounds.  I figure there will be some fluctuation since I'm still healing, etc.  But I'm really hoping the weight of skin I lost from my arms, lbl, and breasts will continue to be actual weight off, since those were real pounds that disappeared.  The way I look at it, if in the long run I go back to my previous goal weight range, what I've really done is put on 5 pounds of fat.  Wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'll just have to see how things play out once I'm 100% healed.

cindimorgan
on 1/5/16 11:21 pm

The amount of weight lost depends on how much extra skin and fat you have that needs to be removed. The best candidates for a tummy tuck have reached a weight that is within 10 lbs of their ideal weight before having a tummy tuck performed. Consequently, the usual amount of weight found in the removed tissus is less than 5 lbs.

NYMom222
on 1/6/16 7:09 am
RNY on 07/23/14

What helped me figure out I was near goal, and 'ready' was having body fat testing done using a dexascan. It was very informative. I did a long post on it back in the beginning of Nov. if you search for it.  I also found out I have a hernia, which got me looking now.

My dexascan showed that based on my lean body mass, a 'normal' bodyfat for me (less than 25%) started at the high end at 189- I am 5'11" tall. According to the BMI charts high end of normal is 170. Huge difference. Really helped me realize I wasn't as far off as I thought. Didn't want to be banging my head against a wall trying to get to a number that was unrealistic. On my body 170 would be like 19% bodyfat - uh, no.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active