2nd and 3rd Consultations

NYMom222
on 12/16/15 8:09 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

This is sure an interesting journey.

Tuesday I went to see a surgeon in Great Neck, NY which is NY City adjacent = pricey. marble floors and bathrooms felt like I was in a movie. That being said he was very nice but his prices were over the top (I think) when combined with hosp. and anesthesia. They were supposed to send me the written quotes but I haven't seen them yet. He was way more expensive than Dr. Katzen's in California's quote. The photos he showed me were amazing. He was the one when looking through pics to show me said he was looking for someone with 'pendulous arms' like mine. Ouch Doc that hurt.

It is a little weird them grabbing your fat and moving it around to get a good gander at it. He was squeezing my thigh fat so hard I wanted to say "Hey! I'm still attached to that!" or "There are still nerve endings there!" He was cupping both my breasts saying "these would be nice C-cups" "OK Doc, you can take your hands off now" (in my head) I haven't seen that much action in a long time....hahaha

I decided after seeing the numbers I needed to go see someone on my insurance plan, so if they did cover something I would be with a participating doc. One of the ladies in the support group had used him. He was very nice too and showed me some great pics. I will find out his numbers tomorrow. He was holding my hip fat and pulling it so far I finally this time did say 'heyyyy... ouch!" He was like 'Oh, sorry"

Both these Docs were very conservative about doing things together. While in theory you don't necessarily spend a longer time in the operating room, just more times... but it does mean more recoveries. The second Doc did say they steeply discount the surgeries after the first so you don't end up paying more overall. So we will see.

Since I am uncovering every rock here... decided since I already have photos I did for Dr. Katzen I will send them off to Dr. Sauceda in Mexico as well. Not sure I can put my head around Mexico, but I know a lot of people love him.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

life_mirrors_art
on 12/17/15 6:27 pm - Canada

This is great information for those of us contemplating plastics - thanks! Would you feel comfortable posting the costs (not linked to names) when you receive them?

RNY on June 23, 2014  -  HW: 280, SW: 230, CW: 166, GW: 140

Dcgirl
on 12/18/15 7:10 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hey Cynthia!  I know opinions are like buttholes (everyone has one!) BUT let me tell you about my own personal experience vs. a friend of mine.

I had an LBL and BL in one surgery with an incredible doctor here in the DC area whose specialty is body contouring after weight loss.  That is all he does.  He does not go through insurance, and I had to pay for it all.  My results are incredible.  He did my arm lift separately.  That being said, yesterday he did a friend of mine (who I met here on OH) - she had an LBL and BL and arms in one surgery (I couldn't combine all three because my breast lift was highly technical and required more time).  She (the friend of mine) texted me last night that she was out of surgery and feeling good, and that he is thrilled with her results.  

A friend of mine from my support group went to a plastic surgeon affiliated with his insurance, at our local city hospital.  He had complications starting the day after surgery (which can happen with anyone) BUT, even more alarmingly, his results are frankly terrible.  Doing a lower body lift on someone who has lost 100+ lbs is a very different scenario than dong a normal tummy tuck.  

I guess I just recommend that you try (if you can) to go to a doctor who specializes in our ahem, interesting bodies post massive weight loss (you have pendulous arms?  My surgeon referred to my breasts as Snoopy ears!  The truth hurts!  Ha ha).  Whether it's in NY or in CA or in Mexico.  As a matter of fact, DC is closer than CA - feel free to look into my surgeon if you want.  Right now he is featuring two before and after pics of me on his Instagram @drjosephmichaels 

PM me if you want to exchange contact info and I can show you my before and afters, as well as an anonymous (faceless) pic of my friend's incisions/scars.  There is a massive difference.

Again, just an opinion and do what's best for you and your finances!  But if there is any way to go to someone who specializes in post weight loss body contouring, you may be happier with your results!

I can't wait for you to get your surgeries (wherever you go) - it's life-changing!

Em

NYMom222
on 12/18/15 8:37 am
RNY on 07/23/14

No, thanks for writing, the only reason I went to the one who is on my insurance plan was because someone in my support group had used him and was happy and he was recommended by a Social Worker from a Bariatric Program at one of our local Hospitals. He actually is also on the OH advisory board or something like that. So he is definitely not totally out of the loop. My problem with him is he doesn't want to do anything together, and while overall it might not mean more time in OR it definitely means more time recovering.

It is amazing that you felt so good after surgery.... I will look him up...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Crazeru
on 12/18/15 4:21 pm

The reason I went to Dr Sauceda, was I wanted it all done at once.  I couldn't afford to take off time 2-3 weeks at a time every few months.  I was off for 8 weeks and received Calif Disability.  Medical tourism at it's best in Mexico.  Dr S has all the bases covered for you.  I have no regrets. 

Dr Sauceda will be in Las Vegas on 6/17 & 6/18 for consults.  That's Father's Day weekend.  For those folks who want to meet him before making a choice.  Let me know.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active