So I had my first consultation....

NYMom222
on 12/9/15 8:20 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

So I had my first consultation today... It was with Dr. Katzen in CA. I have followed him and looked at so many of his transformations, I just felt I needed to hear what he had to say.

I had to send him my medical history and photos prior... that was funny getting those together. It was supposed to be a Skype consultation, but we ended up doing it on the phone. He called punctually and it lasted 30 minutes.

We talked tummy tuck or circumferential body lift, upper thigh lift, arms, boobs... the whole wish list as well as hernia repair. One thing I wasn't expecting was, we were talking about the turkey neck... which is lower on my list... Overall I feel my face isn't too bad considering the weight I lost, just the droopy neck. He suggested, since I wasn't looking to get a whole face lift... that He do liposuction on it. He said usually people are satisfied with just that, but if I wasn't I could do something more during the second arm/breast surgery. Try the lesser technique first- thought that was a good plan.

The only thing that kinda freaked me out was the length of the surgery. It would be 2 big surgeries.

He said they would put into insurance, at least the hernia and varicose veins would most likely be covered. As far as the other stuff, basically they put it in, and you never know.... His office manager is going to call tomorrow, and explain the cash price... {{gulp}}...

He said 40% of his practice is from out-of-state and they do have an office liaison to help people coming in. I have a friend who is willing to go with me if I decide on Him. I kinda like the idea of being away from home in that you just focus on healing, not distracted by regular daily life. We will see.

I have another consult Monday with a more local surgeon - only about an hour away. He does do the Post- Weight Loss Surgery, but I don't really know how many. He was on some Bariatric Plastic Surgeon Society website I found. He was also recommended by both my SIL's. Not that they had surgery from him, but knew people who had.

So the journey begins...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

AngryViking
on 12/10/15 6:00 am
RNY on 07/17/14

So exciting!! 

Tracy D.
on 12/10/15 6:55 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm really excited for you!!  

Did the doctor explain why liposuction would work on the neck?  Just curious because intuitively - to me - it wouldn't make sense to take more fat/tissue out of an area that's already droopy.  I would think it would make it worse, not better to have less "fill" in there.  

Because I would definitely consider liposuction on the neck as an outpatient procedure if I thought it would help the wrinkly, saggy turkey neck!  Let me know! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

NYMom222
on 12/10/15 1:34 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Funny, I thought the same thing too... He said it came out of many WLS patients being young, and there was something that seemed unethical about doing facelifts on 20-30 year olds. He said you do have to be religious about wearing some kind of brace he gives you on it until it heals. Didn't think to ask him how long that was. He said 99% of the patients are happy and do nothing more. (I am sure that is not a scientific number.) Again though the people who are doing this aren't looking for a facelift.

Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

Save

Save

Tracy D.
on 12/11/15 6:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I can see where that might work for 20-30 year olds.  Skin hasn't been stretched out for that long, is probably thicker and has more "snap back" potential.  Not the case for us 50-somethings 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

NYMom222
on 12/11/15 7:28 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Yeah, I hear you... It is low on the list, and I don't know yet how much it adds to the actual cost... haven't heard back from his office manager yet with numbers. He seemed pretty positive about it that it was worth it... but we will see. I had filled out a medical form, so he know how old I am. I am doing other consultations as well.

Save

Save

sechax0r
on 12/18/15 2:29 pm
VSG on 11/03/14

Just a quick idea on price. A tummy tuck will set you back 12k or so..

Most Active