2 Consultations scheduled

NYMom222
on 11/18/15 12:06 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

So yesterday I scheduled 2 consultations with Plastic Surgeons. I have been thinking about it for awhile, and went for Body fat testing a few weeks ago to see where I was at and was I within shooting range of PS. I am 15lbs away from my goal of 24% ie.'normal' Bodyfat range. What is propelling me now to go for consults rather than waiting a little longer, is I found out last week I have a hernia. So if I have to have surgery, makes sense to have PS/skin removal at the same time. Hernias don't get better... right now I am not in an emergency situation, but don't want it to become one.

The 2 consultations are local, one my Bariatric Surgeon recommended, and the other I just liked what I saw online, and he is out of the same hospital.

What I would really like to do is have surgery with Doctor Katzen... the one who has done some of the WLSFA grants. I live in NY though and don't know if I could go cross country and do that.... He is one of the experts, almost all his cases are Bariatric. That is what I worry about, even though PS post something on their website about 'Post-bariatric" do they really know what they are doing?

Any thoughts or advice for my consultations will be gladly received...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

rose_smith91
on 11/18/15 9:52 pm - Korea (south)

It is always advisable to get it done by expert hands. They know what they are doing and they are ready no matter what questions you through at them. Do not hesitate to ask even the silliest of questions as it does not matter what others around you would think. I hope you all the best and do update us on your consultations and so on. 

breathemusic
on 11/19/15 7:03 am

When you go for a consult, ask if the specialize in plastics for people who've had drastic weight loss.  If you know what type of procedures you want, ask how many of them they've performed and to see some of their before and after shots (though keep in mind they're only going to show you the best of their results).

Personally, if they don't specialize in plastics for major weight loss, I wouldn't use them.  I don't want someone who mostly does boob jobs, lipo, and face lifts doing my lower body lift or arms.

Tracy D.
on 11/19/15 11:07 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm excited for you, Cynthia!  You're right that even though PS put "post-bariatric" on their website it doesn't mean they excel with that type of patient.  

You need to ask them for numbers - whatever type of surgery you're having (I'm assuming lower body lift), ask how many they do per month and the number of years they've been doing this particular surgery.  Ask how many of their patients for this surgery are post-WLS patients.  Then you need to see PICTURES!  Before-and-after pictures of post-op PS patients who had your specific surgery AND were post-WLS patients. 

My experience was that PS reported doing "lots" of lower body lifts.  However, one PS couldn't show me one. single. picture. of a post-WLS with lower body surgery.  She had tons of patients with tummy tucks of varying degrees but not a single post-WLS patient with my particular surgery.

Ask how long the procedure will take (do you want the surgeon who says she can do it in 4 hours or the one who says it always takes him 7 hours?); will they do muscle repair; will liposuction be included in the price and the areas where they do it; and what does a lower body lift include.  Some LBL will include mons lifts (you want that) and some docs don't do it.  

My surgeon had his price and then the anesthesia and hospital room were separate prices - I had to write 3 checks.  

Can't wait to hear how it goes!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

NYMom222
on 11/19/15 4:24 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Thanks, I need all the advice I can get. As much information as there is out there, finding someone who actually regularly does these isn't as easy. Even the ones I scheduled (and I scheduled one more today) I feel like I need to call and ask more questions before I go. The ones I scheduled I am confident are good PS.... but each consult costs... it goes towards the cost if you choose them but it can get pricey.

One of the two my Bariatric surgeon recommended - when I researched him, He has an excellent reputation as a PS but his specialty is Breast Reconstruction. ??? He is one of the few local ones covered by my insurance... which I am not sure makes a difference, as I don't have rashes or infections under my pannis..

2 of the consults with Docs that have privileges at the same Hospital as my surgeon, that way if they don't want to repair the hernia, he can. (One was recommended by the surgeon and was a local Doc who had great reviews)

The one I made today, is about an hour from me, but both my sisters-in-laws knew people who had used him and recommended Him... closer to NYC, so probably more expensive. He is the Head of Plastic Surgery at a good Hospital. If I have the surgery I might recoop at my brothers which is only about 20-30 min. away... this is NY travel times are always an estimate...LOL....

Oy... not easy.

Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

Save

Save

AngryViking
on 11/20/15 6:55 am
RNY on 07/17/14

How exciting!  I've had my eye on Joseph Capella in Ramsey, NJ.  It's not exactly close to me, but Syracuse isn't exactly a hot bed of post-bariatric resources, either.  LOL

Laura in Texas
on 11/20/15 8:08 am

I also think you need to look into Capella. He does excellent work with post-bariatric patients.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ICG63
on 11/21/15 2:22 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

I just met with Dr. Capella and was impressed. I'm currently doing research to help me decide which way to go. I'm newish to this site and just made a long post about my history including more about the Capella consult which might be helpful? See the "about me" post. Good luck with your decision!

NYMom222
on 11/21/15 5:09 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Thanks for sharing, I did read your post. Very informational.... I too feel the belt lipectomy/circumfrential body lift is probably the best thing. I need to call back and ask more questions. Did? or how much did Capella charge for the consultation? I like the idea that he does it in 6 hours... I have heard much longer.

Save

Save

ICG63
on 11/21/15 5:27 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

No charge for consultation. If you're interested, the fee quote for all; body lift, mastopexy, flankplasty, and brachioplasty was just over $20,000. ( I don't know if that is variable by patient, and the disclaimer is that this quote is good for 6 months, and if you went over the one night hospital stay or 6 hr, the hospital fees would be more.) If they are done in 2 separate surgeries, it is roughly $5,000 more. Good luck with all :-)

Most Active