How to prioritize plastics

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/15 2:08 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I haven't started seriously looking into PS yet as I still have 15-35 lbs until I get into my goal range, but I was wondering how you prioritized your biggest "problem areas" while on a budget. Did proximity or your own priorities matter more? My #1 priority is my arms -- this is the only one I consider a "must" as it affects clothes I can wear and causes me a lot of mental discomfort. #2 would be my neck wattle and #3 would be a breast lift, but if I can't afford all three, I'm wondering if it would make sense to do the brachioplasty and the BL, skipping the neck lift, because the skin for those areas is all in the same area. How did you prioritize?

Sherrie P.
on 10/22/15 6:01 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

My arms were also my priority, but I was able to get arms, tummy & breast lift at the same time.

My arm scars are awful one year out. Well, they are all pretty bad. Apparently that is the way I heal.

See how much money you have. Price procedures. You might get a multi procedure discount - so doing the arms and breasts at the same time would help.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Dcgirl
on 10/23/15 9:16 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Oh noooooo Sherrie :( You are not happy with your arm scars? I am one week post-op and think my incisions are the scariest thing ever, though my surgeon says they look good. Would you be comfortable sharing pics?

4FurKids, I went to consultations and talked with surgeons about what my problem areas were and what I wanted, and my surgeon helped me prioritize doing a lower body lift and breasts in one surgery, and arms in another. It's definitely not cheap, so you may decide that you can live without the neck being done, for example. I went in thinking I would have a tummy tuck but once I stood naked in a mirror having my skin pulled and prodded, I realized I needed the skin on my backside lifted and removed as well (hence I went with a lower body lift). I have zero regrets. The right surgeon will help you understand what you need/can afford. Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/15 2:36 am - Russia

I had mined at long ago it was rhinoplasty and I wish the pain had been gone all at once like vanish forever. Now I want to do filler and botox. If I get any packages for doing both, I will go for that.

Laura in Texas
on 10/24/15 8:45 am

My arms bothered me the most because they were horrible and that is what the outside world saw (I could hide the rest with shapewear). I am a struggling single mom so that was all I could afford at the time. My brachioplasty cost $3900 in 2009.

I did have my lower body lift/breast lift done at the same time a few years later.

I had to have plastics for my mental health. I could not have handled living with the skin. My legs are still bad, but I have accepted them as is. I love my body now.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

jeterway
on 10/26/15 8:10 am

I started with the thing that I hated the most - my thighs. At that time, I thought that was the only thing I would do. But once they looked good, other things started to bother me. So I moved on to the arms and then face. I had my tummy done as part of a prophylactic mastectomy so that one was already done. I had each procedure done by itself but I know that I got discounts for each subsequent procedure along with some tweaks like some additional lipo to a specific area.

Crazeru
on 10/26/15 11:27 am

I wanted a 1 and done. Got a 401k loan. It was worth every penny that I'm still paying, but as I combined procedures the price kept going down. My body was like paying off a car in 60months. Dr Sauceda Price List

Those prices are for single procedures. You can take pics from the front, side, back, side and close up of your neck and send to [email protected] He'll get back to you with a quote.

Dr Sauceda will be in Las Vegas in June for consults. See our group here on OH. Click on Dr Sauceda in my siggy line.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/15 12:11 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

What all were you able to have done at once? I wonder if I could get a loan on my 403b. Dr. Sauceda is one I have been considering, but I'm a little scared of traveling internationally.

Crazeru
on 10/26/15 1:49 pm

I had a lower body lift, breast lift, arm lift and a small thigh (just insides along the groin line - gets the loose skin that rubs between your legs), not the long thigh lift that goes from the groin to the knee. 4 days after I had the full face lift (neck) and my eyelids done.

I think there are 3 people down in Monterrey now. Dr Sauceda has his driver pick you up at the airport and take you to the Hampton Inn. He comes by to take you for your markup and then picks you up to take you to the clinic (5 min walk if you have a support person with you). Then when you are able to return to the hotel, Dr S takes to back to the hotel. Either his driver or the hotel makes arrangements to take you back to the hotel. I felt very safe. The HEB is just behind the hotel with a mini mall and movie theater. McDonalds, Applebees and Italianos are next to the hotel too.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

W. John Suber,
M.D.

on 10/29/15 5:31 am - Greenville, SC
On October 22, 2015 at 9:08 PM Pacific Time, 4FurKids wrote:

I haven't started seriously looking into PS yet as I still have 15-35 lbs until I get into my goal range, but I was wondering how you prioritized your biggest "problem areas" while on a budget. Did proximity or your own priorities matter more? My #1 priority is my arms -- this is the only one I consider a "must" as it affects clothes I can wear and causes me a lot of mental discomfort. #2 would be my neck wattle and #3 would be a breast lift, but if I can't afford all three, I'm wondering if it would make sense to do the brachioplasty and the BL, skipping the neck lift, because the skin for those areas is all in the same area. How did you prioritize?

Great question! :-)

IMO, the answer is different for every patient (no surprise). Regarding prioritizing, I would start with consultation with a plastic surgeon. Come with your ideas, as expressed above. And oftentimes, these desires may "drive the boat" on order of surgery. In my practice, I often may share insights based on physical exam, etc. that may help clarify a "best approach" to your issues.

Arms are often able to be done first, for example, when a patient is "maximally deflated"....at the end of her weight loss. This is not universal, however, and liposuction of the upper arm is often part of the bracioplasty. Also, when trying to minimize "trips to the OR," in my practice at least, brachioplasty can often be combined with breast surgery, so this may play a role.

I do deal with insurance for patients (Not all plastic sugeons do. SO ask these questions of him.), and arm lift can be covered when symptoms exist and can be documented (with failure of conservative measures).

Facial surgery (neck) is probably least-commonly covered (by insurance) surgery, while arms, breast (reduction) and abdominal procedures often can be.

Good luck!

--john

• W. John Suber, M.D.
  • Suber Plastic Surgery, LLC
  • 2755 S Hwy 14, Ste 2150
  • Greer, SC 29650
  • 864-288-8118
Most Active