Did anyone do an arm lift by itself? Curious about costs...

Dcgirl
on 8/27/15 6:44 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi all,

I had a lower body lift and breast lift in March, and now I am gearing up to do my arms in the Fall.  I know prices vary around the country (and world), and many people bundle up multiple surgeries, but if anyone did just their arms, I am curious how much you paid and how long the surgery was.  I got one quote but it's higher than expected - half of it is the fee for 4 hours in the OR and 4 hours of anesthesia.  I used the search function but it appears most people had an arm lift along with other procedures, giving you economy of scale...

Also if you did your arms alone, how was recovery?  I have read it's really not that painful and you basically just can't reach or lift for a while, but again, since most people bundle it, that may be the case when the stomach muscle tightening hurts a ton and you don't notice the arms :)

Thanks!

emelar
on 8/27/15 10:35 am - TX

I did the brachioplasty with a breast lift, and the cost of each was about the same - around $6,500 all in (surgeon, surgical suite, anesthesia).  The recovery was easy.  Sore, limited movement, swelling, all the usual fun of recovery, but nothing extreme.

Dcgirl
on 8/27/15 11:21 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

This is helpful - thank you!

Jennifer K.
on 8/27/15 11:13 am - Phoenix , AZ

I did the brachio with a BA/BL, if I had just the arm lift alone it would have been around 6000-7000$.

Its uncomfortable more than anything... you cant lift your arms at all... no hair washing, no putting your hair into a rubber band etc... hard to get in/out of clothes unless you can step into them. I got lucky and only had drains for two weeks, most people are at least 3.. those were not fun. Keeping the scars covered until they healed was also hard... putting on silicone strips twice a day, using silicone gels... putting on sunscreen if you didn't have silicone strips on etc. I had an extended TT previously... while the pain factory was way lower, the recovery seemed so much more tedious/long.

It was worth it in the long run, but just wasn't what I had expected it to be having had previous PS.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Dcgirl
on 8/27/15 11:23 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Wow Jennifer, I didn't even think about having trouble putting on a shirt or putting my hair in a ponytail - I was thinking it would be easy peasy.  I had such an easy recovery from my LBL/BL, I hope the same happens here.  I also for some reason was not thinking about drains.  Since I am having it done (hopefully) in October, I can easily keep them under clothing and out of the sun.  

I asked my PS if I can fly 16 days later for a work trip, and because of how easy my LBL recovery was, he gave me the go-ahead.  It sounds as though this would have been a challenge in your case?  Hmmmm...

Thanks for your information!

Jennifer K.
on 8/28/15 5:03 am - Phoenix , AZ

I would say if your drains are out you should be fine to fly... I personally wouldn't want to fly with them. The only thing to consider is you wont be able to carry anything heavy... no pulling of a suitcase or carrying of a heavy bag etc.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/5/15 6:15 am - OH

I didn't have drains in my arms, but my incisions went through my armpits and I had a hard time doing almost anything for several weeks!  I had to lean down to wash my hair, put it I a ponytail, pull on a shirt, etc., and anything that involved much movement of the arms (even down) was painful. For me, although I could have physically flown with no problems, there would have been no way I could have gotten a suitcase -- even a smaller one --  in and out of the car, etc. just 2 weeks later. So consider whether your armpits will be involved!

FWIW, when I had my arms done 7 years ago, it cost me $5500 using a PS with a surgical center rather than a full service hospital (which would have been more expensive).  I ended up having to spend the night there because surgery ran long and he was concerned about pain control with just pills, so that was an extra charge of about $250.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Dcgirl
on 9/8/15 1:09 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Thanks for the advice, Lora...jeez, I am going to have to figure out how to get around with a suitcase just a few weeks later.  Luckily I can take taxis and ask the driver very sweetly to help with the bag, but I wasn't even thinking about that aspect.  With my work travel schedule, I am challenged to find a time for surgery without an upcoming trip, so I may just have to "make it work" :(

Needanewbeginning
on 8/27/15 9:50 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I am having my brachioplasty in a few weeks. Cost is $5800 to the surgeon and $1800 to the hospital. It's a four hour surgery, at least that's the time booked right now.

My surgeon doesn't use drains for this procedure. I know it will be a challenge to wash my hair and was told even brushing my teeth the first week is a challenge but more so because you don't want to pull the skin too much in the beginning.

I have bought a couple of zip up shirts and easy to pull on pants so I can get dressed and use the bathroom easier...trying to think ahead, lol!

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Dcgirl
on 8/28/15 7:31 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Ok, thanks for giving me some guidance as to pricing!  My mom will come visit me for the first four or five days, so I can make her brush my teeth and hair ha ha.  I don't know if I will have drains - I need to ask my surgeon.  He did my LBL and BL so I know his work and it's incredible.

My quote was booked for 4 hours as well.  But the OR and anesthesia is like $4,300.  Crazy.  It's not even an overnight stay.

Most Active