Beware of constipation *graphic*

MissNexxie
on 7/4/15 11:36 am
VSG on 04/30/14

After my post from yesterday I need to update you and warn you about the horrors of constipation and (pardon my candor) fecal impaction after surgery.  I spent last night in Urgent Care getting 2 enemas and 2 'digital (read:finger) cleansings' because of horrific constipation.  I had a least one mass of poop the size of a tennis ball inside me plus more golf ball sizes ones that weren't moving.  I am now 8 days out from Abdominoplasty and BL.  My last bowel movement was the day before surgery. I was given nothing in the hospital for my bowel and was on morphine for 2 days and then Percocet until yesterday.  I started taking Relaxa last Tuesday with no success, then switched to Colace tablets, again no success.  Yesterday afternoon i finally felt an urge but after 4 hours on the toilet nothing was coming but I could feel it at the opening.  My bum was blocked with hard poop.

Finally went to urgent care and after explaining my situation (surgery one week ago, plus WLS, plus pain meds, blood thinners, drains, incisions and binder) I ended up with getting the 2 enemas and 2 finger treatments.  5 hours, tons of pain, weak and drained, they got most of it out.  A couple golf balls were left inside but he said those were on their way out.  It was, for me, worse than surgical pain.  I have stopped all pain meds right then and am finally cleaned out.  Lots of rectal pain and exhaustion, nothing I ever want to experience again.  I am working through the surgical pain now without meds but it's not too bad.  Mostly tight, hurts if I laugh or cough.

My warning is to start laxatives or stool softeners as soon as you're out of surgery, drink lots of water and don't wait 8 days to see someone if you haven't had any 'success'.  This was the first time it ever happened to me and I hope the last.  I am on Restoralax 3x per day for 3 days and then 2x per day for 3 days and then daily.  Doctors says it's the best laxative because it doesn't impact the body, simply draws water into the intestines.  Can be used daily on an ongoing basis without fear.  For every scoopful + glass of water of Restoralax you must drink at least one more glass of water following the dosage, outside your usual routine. 

I had some constipation after my sleeve surgery and after my gallbladder a couple months ago but nothing like this.  Its not something they think about in the hospital so you have to ask for it.  Start it as soon as you can after surgery and water, water, water.

Again, be prepared for this, start laxatives early on and drink tons of water.  And don't wait a week to see someone if you're not having bowel movements.  Talk to someone by day 4 or 5.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Tracy D.
on 7/6/15 11:07 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I've read about this enough and had advice from another LBL to start the "cleaning out" process before plastics.  I go in for a LBL on Wednesday morning.  I started 2x/day stool softeners on Saturday and started with Miralax yesterday.  Plan to keep up with it through Tuesday night and will start back up with it post-surgery as soon as possible.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

MissNexxie
on 7/6/15 11:40 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Good call on starting early. It's been a rough weekend for me, very tender bum and lots of internal cleansing with all the laxatives I'm on. I don't wi**** on anyone. I'm dealing OK with surgical pain but would've appreciated tapering it off instead of cold turkery. And now I'm m getting the sniffles (coughing & sneezing), that's a new kind of tummy pain to experience. Just plain run down, low calories, etc. Please take care during your recovery and keep up the calories and laxatives. Still, looking forward to better days ahead.

Best wishes with surgery and recovery.  All the best!

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

cappy11448
on 7/7/15 9:33 pm

What a terrible thing to go thru.  I'm so sorry to hear you had so much trouble.  I've had to take Miralax daily for constipation since my VSG surgery two years ago.  Its definitely a common problem.  So sorry you had to go thru all that.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

MissNexxie
on 7/8/15 5:14 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Thank you, cappy. The thing is I've taken Restoralax daily since my vsg, too, and missed 4 doses during this ordeal - even though I was barely eating, apparently it's something I goitta stay on top of atvall times. Huge life lesson!

David147
on 7/31/15 3:02 am

O yes definitely constipation and it is a chronic problem for some. The natural method is added fiber, at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day, and 60 minutes of exercise a day. I am glad are seeing a doctor because prolonged constipation can lead to more serious conditions such as diverticulitis. I would strongly advise getting a colonoscopy done, hopefully your doctor will recommend it anyway. I also recommend Metamucil, milk of magnesia, or miralax if you go more than 3 days with out doing the 2. Good luck and don't worry constipation is a common problem. Your doctor has dealt with it a million times!

MissNexxie
on 7/31/15 5:08 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Thank you for the information and suggestions. Thankfully I've had no further incidents and am being very diligent with fibre and fluids. 

Most Active