How bad was the pain post Abdominoplasty?

Pinkchickadee
on 6/19/15 11:28 pm

Wow! I am not going to have a PCA.  Not because I don't want one but my abdominoplasty is being done as a daycare procedure. I believe they send you home with Dilaudid.  I wish a PCA was an option!

Starting Weight:275 CW:189 SW:??  Goal:169

proudauntie
on 6/19/15 11:14 pm - Honolulu, HI

For me this was one of the easiest reconstructive surgeries to recover from but I did have a pain pump that lasted for 4 days after the surgery.  Work on your core (pilates, yoga, etc) before the surgery - having a strong core will make getting in and out of bed and in and out of a chair much easier.  

Pinkchickadee
on 6/19/15 11:30 pm

Thank you! I do ab work 4-5 days a week so hopefully that will help! Thanks for the advice!

Starting Weight:275 CW:189 SW:??  Goal:169

DrL
on 6/20/15 10:45 pm - Houston, TX

Almost forgot...an electric lift chair is $90 for a month from Rent-A-Center in my area.  REALLY helps takes strain off the ab muscles and you can sleep in it the first week or two !

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
alexclinton
on 6/22/15 2:21 am

Recovery from a tummy tuck surgery will take some time. An abdominoplasty, especially a full abdominoplasty, is serious surgery. After surgery when you wake up, your doctor will give you a pain killer to reduce your pain. Don't wait for pain to be unbearable before you take your pain killer. As days pass, the pain and swelling will go off. Generally, tummy tuck surgery can take 6 months to recover completely; however, it depends upon the procedure used and the complication of surgery.

yankeescl
on 7/1/15 5:54 am
RNY on 09/12/13

I had my TT 3 weeks ago.  I had extensive muscle tightening and a mesh patch from a 20 year old hernia repaired.  The incisions were not really that painful for me.  I found that the work that my surgeon did on the muscles were (and still are) sore.  It is major surgery, so give yourself some time.  Best of luck!

honeybeeme
on 7/1/15 6:48 am
VSG on 01/22/14

I am 2-1/2 weeks postoperative from abdominoplasty with lipo. I stayed one night in the hospital. Three and four days later I was wondering if I had made the right decision! I got past that. LOL. I had two drains that didn't come out for two weeks but that's good... They drained well. I see my doc tomorrow for a three week post op (one day early). I stayed home one week from work and teleworked the next. 

I drove myself for the two week appt, over bumpy roads... Ouch! I recommend a pillow to hold between you and the seatbelt on bumps. Same with coughing and sneezing. Yesterday, driving home from work I realized I didn't need a pillow on bumps, but I still felt them in the belly.

I can can stand straight now, but by the evening, I am exhausted, bent, and sore. I have some pain points that I feel getting up from sitting. Turning in bed is painful. I haven't had pain meds since the first week, but do take Tylenol in the evening now. Pain pills make you constipated. I didn't get that way I think because I made sure to eat yogurt for the antibiotics and nuts and fruit for the narcotics.

Each day is better. I think week five is when we are close to feeling normal again. I travel next week during my third to fourth and I've already made plans so I don't carry luggage or computer. You can't life... You don't want to mess your surgery but also, it will hurts if you lift. Or bend over too much, gotta squat down more often. 

Good luck....each new day is better.

leepansi
on 7/6/15 2:47 am - texas, NY

yeah i heard that after having any kind of plastic and reconstructive surgery (it could be blepharoplasty before and after , rhinoplasty before and after, breast surgery or tummy reduction )digestion system becomes little week.But if you take proper nutrition and food it become strong again. 

You can talk to your doctor so that he/she could give you proper nutrition of food menu/list and Vitamin supplement that will be helpful for your quick recovery.

leepansi
on 7/3/15 3:20 am - texas, NY
hairchick62
on 7/6/15 4:49 am - wilmington, DE

It's surgery but not that bad. The breast reduction was the worst. As long as u have meds you'll be ok 

Most Active