Are you glad you did it?

wyo_sarah
on 6/8/15 9:28 am

The nurse at my surgeons office, who also had WLS, said she has never met a person who was glad they had plastic surgery. Can you tell me your opinion? I'm only 10 months post op but I would really like to have a tummy tuck and a breast lift.

Ashley in Belgium
on 6/8/15 9:48 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Everyone's experience is different and everyone has different expectations and pain tolerance levels :)

I don't regret my TT but there are things I wasn't prepared for that I wish I'd known before I went under the knife.  I am only 8 months post-op and still swell and need to wear a girdle for comfort which is a bit depressing!  It also makes the other bits look worse because I have a flat tummy but saggy thighs and bat wings.  It's a process - just as long as the WL journey I think.

Was it worth it?  Yes, I suppose so.  Would I do it again?  Not sure.

Was my RNY worth it?  Oh hell yes.  Would I do it again?  Every year if I had too.  

That's the best way I can describe how I feel about it. Sorry that's not much help!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Tracy D.
on 6/8/15 11:43 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13
Tracy D.
on 6/8/15 11:46 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Really?!?  I think that speaks more to the expertise of the doctors who did the surgery and not the surgery itself.  The only people I know who have deeply regretted plastic surgery were those who had incompetent surgeons and required numerous follow-up surgeries to fix the screw ups.  

Everyone else tells me that there is a period of "buyer's remorse" immediately post-op because of the pain.  But eventually they all love what they had done.  Maybe that's because the ones who hate it aren't talking to me - lol!  But again, I think it speaks to the exerptise of the surgeon in question.  

I'm guessing that Wyoming isn't a hotbed of plastic surgery "experts", Sarah!   Even in the Omaha metro, with a population of 750K people, I ended up choosing a doctor in Kansas City to get someone with enough experience to do my surgery.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

wyo_sarah
on 6/8/15 12:24 pm

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't go to a plastic surgeon in Wyoming.  Even the nurse said that.  I've been researching surgeons in Denver.  And I'm going to find someone with experience in people who have lost a lot of weight, not just a general plastic surgeon.  Perhaps the nurse was talking to people who had recently had surgery, because when I asked her why they regretted it she said it was because of the pain.  I regretted my VSG for the first 2 months too... I felt awful and threw up all the time and could hardly eat anything.  But now, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Tracy D.
on 6/8/15 12:37 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You'll have lots of great options in Denver!  And you're smart to look for someone who has experience with post-bariatric patients.  Insist on seeing before-and-after pics of those patients, specifically.  Whichever procedure you want, ask how many he/she does per month and how many of those are on post-bariatric patients.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Supergirl7877
on 6/9/15 8:19 am

I am totally happy I did mine!!

i am in WY also. I used a surgeon in Salt Lake City. Are you in the Eastern part of the state?

Jennifer K.
on 6/8/15 12:18 pm - Phoenix , AZ

Never met anybody who said it was worth it? Really?

I am EXTREMELY glad to have had PS. Back in 2011 I had an extended TT with liposuction and some junk put in my trunk. 7/2014 I had a BA/BL/Brachio and a few months ago I had some scar revision work done on my arms due to how the incisions healed (arms are a hard spot because of the tension). Having the TT really helped move my life forward... I gained a lot of confidence and was SOOOOOO glad to no longer have that uncomfortable skin hanging off me. The BA/BL really put me over the moon... I feel better about myself than I ever have...

Plastic surgery is not easy.. depending on what you have done it is expensive and it is always a long slow recovery process. You don't see the full result right away, which can be hard.... and you are typically pretty uncomfortable for quite some time. With the arm lift you have to keep the scars covered for a year.. not very easy when its hot and in the summer... but everything Ive had done is so worth it. I am hoping to get a thigh lift next year and my journey will be complete!

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

emelar
on 6/8/15 1:58 pm - TX

It isn't easy.  There's a fair amount of pain and discomfort in the early post-op days, and it takes months to see the final result.  The healing process is long. It's stressful.  But you're over the worst of it around 4-6 weeks out and the rest is just waiting for everything to stop swelling and settle.  I'd do it all again...and I did just about all of it - LBL, thigh lift, facelift, extended breast lift with brachioplasty. 

hollykim
on 6/8/15 2:36 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 8, 2015 at 9:28 AM Pacific Time, wyo_sarah wrote:

The nurse at my surgeons office, who also had WLS, said she has never met a person who was glad they had plastic surgery. Can you tell me your opinion? I'm only 10 months post op but I would really like to have a tummy tuck and a breast lift.

I am totally glad I had my reconstructive surgery! I look awesome!

Most Active