Are you happy with your panni ?

Heather B.
on 6/13/15 6:20 pm - Wyandotte, MI

It all depends. I had a very large panniculus removed 4 weeks ago. I lost over 200lbs and had a flap before I started losing weight and it was nearly down to my knees. They took off 24lbs and could not save my belly button but this amount of tissue removal is above average.   Mine was removed purely for medical reasons and not for how it looks since I still have another 100lbs to lose. A panniculectomy only removes the skin below the belly button. My surgeon also did a panniculectomy and abdominoplasty for my sister. This removes tissue below the belly button but also tightened and reshaped her entire abdomen. Often time, the panniculectomy is the only thing insurance will cover. The surgeon used the panniculectomy to cover the costs of the OR, anesthesia  and after care and then she had to pay for the abdominoplasty but just for the "extra work" and not the entire surgery.  She looks amazing, she is 35 and had lost over 300lbs and he re-sculpted her midsection beautifully but she lost her belly button too. The surgeon said there's several factors that determine if he can save it. I believe it can be reconstructed but, it costs extra (insurance would not cover). But everything really depends on your situation and your insurance.

Heather B. 
VSG on 11/28/11
Revision to RNY on 04/28/14

Waterme27
on 6/13/15 7:40 pm

Thank you for your reply. I was curious if the upper abdomen skin was pulled down, but I guess it is not.  I am not really concerned about the muscle tightening but still need attention to upper area. Congrats on your success 

Laura in Texas
on 6/14/15 6:15 am

Generally, it is not, but doctors have a wide range of what they call a panni (some do more to make it aesthetically pleasing). Your best bet would be to ask to see pictures from the surgeon you are considering using.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Iam_with_the_Band
on 6/15/15 12:32 am

A few surgeons will take great pride in their work and go above and beyond to have a decent result.  After all their name is on your body after that and if it looks dysfigured, that is not a good advertisement.  That's the reason, I always say, "ask to see your surgeons panni pictures, NOT his TT pictures, but his actual pannulectomy results."

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Waterme27
on 6/15/15 9:59 am

Great idea. Whenever I google panni before and after pics I wonder if they are Tt pictures 

Violets-Sunflowers
on 7/17/15 3:51 pm

I am looking into getting my panni removed. It's a grade 1 with little touching of the thighs with slight bending over. Anyway, I wanted to know a good plastics in Georgia. And.... Does anyone know about BCBS in Georgia and do they cover the procedure. I also have Medicaid which I think will stop once my BCBS kick in? Any suggestion, help or advice is welcomed. 

Iam_with_the_Band
on 7/20/15 10:16 pm

Every insurance plan is different depending upon what your employer paid for.  Call your own plan and ask specific questions about what they cover for Skin Removal post Massive Weight Loss.  They are really the only ones who can tell you what they cover and what the criteria is for coverage.  Read the other recent posts about Pannulectomies. 

AmyDee123
on 7/17/15 5:46 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Insurance covered mine years ago, and i could not get anything cosmetic fixed.  Just the skin removed.  I have dog ears, I have no belly button, and I have a horrid staple line from one side to another.

And I don't care.

I also had 33 pounds of skin removed that was crippling me.  I know I can have more plastics later, but to just get the panni removed was needed so I could move well and look normal in clothes.  I couldn't be happier.  When I get to goal finally I will have new plastics done and cosmetically fix everything.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Iam_with_the_Band
on 7/20/15 9:28 pm

As one of the plastic surgeons who post here on OH said, "it's not always possible to get a good result Tummy Tuck post pannulectomy" -- The incision is very low and can't be altered.  When you go for your revision, make sure you go witn someone who has experience in that area and hopefully they can do a good job.  I had a TT done after losing 271 lbs - I knew I'd need a Lower Body Lift after I got to goal, but I needed the pannus removed. I opted for the TT for a better appearance and the ability to have it improved upon later. 

Good Luck!  I know how losing my 19lbs of skin helped with my mobility and my chronic back pain. 

AmyDee123
on 7/20/15 9:33 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Very true.  My surgeon at least did the incision along where the new tummy tuck incision would be, so that it could be revised easier.  But again, there was nothing else taken in consideration for cosmetics because he was not being compensated by the insurance company for a cosmetic procedure.  

Thankfully I am not worried about my scars.  I just want to look good in a small dress.  :)

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Most Active