My plastics checklist...please add your ideas!

Tracy D.
on 5/13/15 6:16 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Julia - thank you for your comments!  I will ask my doctor about Arnica.  It was super cheap so if he says no it's not a big loss.  I sort of wish I could be in the hospital for 4 days but it doesn't appear to be an option.  I am going to ask about one extra night, just because we live 3 hours away and the hubby would be more comfortable with me staying three nights instead of two.  

If I can look HALF as good as you post-plastics then I will consider it a success!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/13/15 6:44 am
VSG on 10/09/12

You will look awesome!!! I have bits and pieces that really should be fixed but I don't feel like being cut into again so maybe in a few years. 

Here the standard is a lot longer in hospital as compared to the US. I practically had to escape from the hospital after 4 nights. I was going crazy from boredom. They wanted to keep me even longer!! I begged my doctor to release me. I think I would have been good to go after two nights. 

I am excited for you!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Dcgirl
on 6/2/15 1:41 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi Tracy!  I am excited for you too!!!  You are going to be ecstatic :)

I am with Julia - I didn't really have any of that.  I did have Arnica to help with bruising, and pain pills along with some bottles of water and pretzels by my bed for during the night.  And one compression garment I got at my one week follow up.  But I didn't need a recliner or a toilet seat or any sort of furniture modification.  I think you will find this easier than you expect - you're so small and healthy now for this surgery, that it's a different ball game this time around!

I just had my almost 10 week follow-up and I have been happy every moment except my first night at home which was painful.  But that is a distant, distant memory.  You will definitely have butterflies, that's natural, but I can't wait to see how happy you are post-plastics!

Tracy D.
on 6/3/15 10:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

"I think you will find this easier than you expect...."

From your mouth to God's ear, DC girl!!! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Ashley in Belgium
on 5/15/15 9:04 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Tracy - I am with Julia on this one.  Maybe it's the European way, but I didn't need anything special either.  I left the hospital drain free and still (7 months post-op) find the recliner chair the most uncomfortable place to be in the entire house!  I didn't use maxi pads either - I was great in just a long, soft tank top under the binder.  And pillows.  TONS of king size pillows to prop up on the sofa and in bed.  I created a nest in both places with a baggie full of my meds, chap stick, protein bars, etc in both locations.  I have 54 stairs in my house so I didn't have a walker and never needed it.  Standing was always preferable to sitting and I was a non issue for me getting up from the toilet or bed or sofa.  

I worried about all the same things so I totally get where you are coming from.  I'm only saying all this so that you know everyone's experience is different and if you don't have something it may work out just fine!

I also recommend clearing yourself out before surgery.  Not enough to get you dehydrated, but well enough that you won't get backed up the first day.  I took Colace the night before surgery and continued as I normally would at home and constipation wasn't an issue.  Do ask for the valium/muscle relaxer/sleeping pills as getting a good nights sleep makes all the difference!  

You'll do great!  It's agonising, but worth it! Ash

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Tracy D.
on 5/15/15 9:10 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Thanks so much, Ashley!  I'm not going to be a hero when it comes to pain and will be using the pain meds as needed.  And it's a great tip to get myself cleaned out before surgery.  I'll be using that one 

deltadawn9
on 5/26/15 6:51 pm

I am a RN and from Papillion also. In January I had breast lift with augmentation to a full size C and tummy tuck with Dr Edney at Omaha Surgical images. Very happy with results. Surgery at 6 am out of surgery at 9 ( dr Montag did tummy tuck at same time Edney did breasts to shorten surgery anesthesia time). I was home by 11:30 am and upstairs in my recliner by noon. I so agree on the clean out. I did Miralax morning and night 2 days before surgery and took Colace the night before. I slept in the lift recliner for a month. 3 drains in my pubic area for 2 weeks. Pain managed well with hydrocodone and Valium. Abdominal binder with t shirt under it for a month. I was stooped slightly for 2-3 weeks. Never needed the walker. I just ordered a bikini yesterday from Victoria's Secret. You will love becoming a member of "The flat side". I have no regrets. 

Tracy D.
on 5/26/15 10:29 pm, edited 6/24/15 5:29 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Thanks so much!  May I ask how old you were when you had your surgery?  I'm just wondering how much age will play into how well I do afterward.  

Always good to hear from a fellow Nebraskan! :-) 

deltadawn9
on 5/27/15 5:35 am

I am 61. I had my RNY in January 2011 and maintained 128 lb loss. I am also a diabetic. One surprise with the surgery no one told me about is that you can "spit" stitches. The tummy tuck involves tons of hidden disolvable stitches. Sometimes like for me some will not completely dissolve and work their way to the surface. I had many follow up trips to the surgeon to get them pulled out. some were over a half inch long. Real Self online is also a great place to find pics. 

Cynthia L.
on 6/2/15 1:14 pm - Clarence, NY

I'm soon to do round #3 of 4 with Dr. Agha, who is an artist.

To your list I'd add:

back scratcher

eye mask

bendy straws

extension cord and 3 way plug - to have all your electronics bedside 

lavender bedding spritzer

latex gloves

prep H ointment and towelettes 

Low cal gatorade

chuks to sit on

safety pin to pin chair remote to chair

tiny zip locks and sharpie for labeling bag (2pm, etcetera). Put in order, makes taking meds super easy

protein bars

low dose aspirin (only if prescribed) to thin blood, if flying home, to prevent clots.

Use ambient sound app on phone or use spotify on phone. "Meditation" by Lemongrass is on Spotify and it's a dream to nap by.

dry shampoo

------

I'll try to think of more later.

Cyn

chrissie_hynde_kitty_std-2-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castleBad boys get spanked. - Chrissie Hynde Lifeposter-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castle

Most Active