Muscle Tightening questions on tummy tuck

Dcgirl
on 4/3/15 3:33 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I had muscle tightening and YES it hurts for a few days after, especially just hoisting yourself up to a sitting position.  But I am SO thrilled with my results already (today is two weeks post op) and I got my 10,000 steps in yesterday so it's obviously very survivable :)  I say it's your decision ultimately, but if you're gonna be laying on a table under anesthesia being cut open, you might as well go all the way :)  Good luck - work your core as much as you can leading up to it, and hopefully you are as thrilled with your results as many others are!  

Iam_with_the_Band
on 4/3/15 3:38 am

Perhaps it has more to do with how obese you were and for how long. I have seen great results with former obese women who didn't have any muscle work - but both of these girls were not that overweight (less than 100 lbs) and they had very defined abs prior to skin removal. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

elizzz
on 4/3/15 5:40 am

ok, thank you thank you. my loss is about 140 lbs or so.

Christi05
on 4/3/15 5:50 pm
VSG on 02/05/13

I had been overweight since I was a child. I thought I would definitely need muscle tightening but my surgeon said my muscles underneath were fine. (I haven't had any children and I'm 28 years old.) It surprised me that I didn't need it! I had a fleur de lis lower body lift after losing 160lbs. My stomach is nice and flat! I'm 4 months out now.

Honestly my pain for the first week even without muscle tightening was awful. My surgeon didn't believe in pain pumps or exparel. :/ Just stay on top of your pain meds. I needed mine for three weeks!

elizzz
on 4/4/15 1:22 am

thank you Christi, congrats to you!!

Thundergrrrl
on 4/5/15 3:22 pm

My surgeon said he would do it if needed and wouldn't know till he was in there. He told me it didn't need it or didn't need much. My recovery was a lot easier than I expected AND I now have the cool ab-line down the middle of my stomach so I figure he must have done at least a little. You're going to be on heavy meds anyway so the extra pain probably won't be noticeable. 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

alexclinton
on 4/9/15 4:38 pm

Tummy-tuck surgery or abdominoplasty can flatten your abdomen by removing loose and excess fat, and tightening muscles in the abdominal wall. Below are the pros of tummy tuck surgery:

Tighter, Firmer and Flatter Belly.

It trims the waistline.

Removal and Diminishing of Stretch Marks

Below are the cons of tummy tuck surgery:

This surgery is a major surgery, and so, there can be risks and complications.

JA
on 5/11/15 9:30 am - East Haven, CT

Absolutely do the muscle tightening.  I had to have it done a second time by another plastic surgeon because the first one didn't do muscle work.  I didn't find the pain unmanageable at all.  Just very stiff and hard to stand up straight.  Good luck.

JA

Most Active