Skin Removal for Lap Band grad with high BMI

jamilahlax
on 4/1/15 4:21 am

Hi Everyone,

I’m hoping you can help me out with some resources. I had my 4cc Lap Band surgery in 2003 and have had no problems with my band. My starting weight was 515, current weight 290 (that’s a total loss of 225 lbs or 43% body weight, over the standard skin surgery recommendation of 40%). I’ve been steady at 290 for the past several years. I’ve decided to pursue skin removal surgery for the skin on my upper arms and back, where I’ve got lots of loose skin that hasn’t budged or changed in years.

I’m looking for a surgeon in the NYC or MA areas that performs skin removal surgeries on graduate banisters with high BMIs. I respectfully ask that folks not offer advice to wait for more weight loss before pursuing surgery (though I respect those who choose to wait until they reach their goal weight, of course). This is the right choice for me right now. 

What I’m looking for are recommendations of surgeons who perform skin removal on banisters who’ve had weight loss success but still have high BMIs. 

Many, many thanks in advance for your help. Hope everyone is well!

JLX

Dejah H.
on 4/1/15 7:39 am - Central, TX

Wish I could help with the recommendations, but I do not live in that area. I just wanted to say good luck, and congrats on your success! :)

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

jamilahlax
on 4/2/15 5:34 am

Thank you!! Congrats and good luck to you too!!

Iam_with_the_Band
on 4/1/15 7:52 am

I had my first TT and Brachioplasty at a high weight. I had chronic back problems related to the hanging skin. I found a surgeon in mexico who was wonderful. My highest weight was 513, lapband starting weight was 488. I lost 271 before my skin removal. You're going to have to just do some consults and meet some surgeons and see if they are willing. You may have to travel outside your area. My result was good but it didn't last because I lost more weight rather quickly after surgery. I revised later. Remember complicstions are much higher for those with high BMIs. Wound infections and healing is poor at those higher weights. I took 12 weeks off and really upped my protein to try to not have a complication. Ask your Bariatric surgeon for recommendations and just start meeting surgeons until you find one willing and one who has actual experience with skin removal on someone your size and someone who has lost the weight you have. It's vital they have lots of experience or you could end up in really bad condition. Good luck!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

jamilahlax
on 4/2/15 5:33 am

Thank you for this!! It's really helpful. Good luck to you too, and congrats on your success!

airbender
on 4/1/15 10:05 am

Dr Joseph Capella in NY and NJ, he offers a free consultation also, go on his website his work is amazing

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

jamilahlax
on 4/2/15 5:31 am

Thank you so much!!!

cathywriter
on 4/3/15 2:14 am

Hi JLX:

I know a board certified plastic surgeon in NYC who is wonderful, Dr. Elliot Jacobs.  Highly skilled and experienced (30 years!) and an honest guy.  I don't know if he would consider performing skin removal for you or not, but you could contact him and find out.  I understand he gets in touch with prospective patients personally, especially via email, so you could have a conversation with him about this.  His website is:

plasticsurgeonnewyork.com

It would probably help if your primary care physician has already cleared you for surgery and if you have had some basic tests.  One thing I do know about Dr. Jacobs is he prefers to use IV sedation over general anesthesia whenever possible (and he works with a great MD anesthesiologist), so if you qualify this might lower the risk.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck!  And congratulations on leaving the 500's, 400's and 300's behind!

jamilahlax
on 4/4/15 9:31 am

Thanks so much for this! I will definitely contact him. And thanks for your kind words!!

Thundergrrrl
on 4/5/15 2:58 pm

I had my plastics done with a surgeon down south (Alabama) because my family is there. He was excellent and even with the travel, cost way less than someone would have in NY/NJ where I lived at the time. He also did me when I was still "overweight" by about 40-50lbs if you go by BMI charts. But I had lost a lot with my band and kept it off. If you'd like to know more I'll provide more info. I understand if you're not looking to travel. 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Most Active