Wait more than 1 year?

ipray
on 3/8/15 10:08 am
VSG on 11/06/14

For facial surgery for neck/cheek lift with upper eye lids do I need to wait more than 1 year?  (I am 55 and not getting any younger).  My total weight loss will be about 100 pounds. (I am half way there. Could anyone give me there experience about pain /recovery? I had to stay in hospital an extra 3 days beyond the normal 2 days after VSG as they could not get my nausa and fluids under control. I am worried about recovery problems again. Thanks friends! 

Ihearttennis
on 3/8/15 11:42 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I maintained for one year before my lbl/ba/brachioplasty and I lost 100 lbs as well.  I had terrible nausea after my vsg and was worried about that as well.  The morning of my plastics surgery I took an anti nausea pill that they generally give to chemo patients. The one pill cost me $75 but was well worth it.  I took that and a patch behind my ear and I didn't have any nausea. 

Good luck!

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

ipray
on 3/9/15 10:13 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Thanks for the tips and I bet you look great!!!

Tracy D.
on 3/9/15 1:19 am, edited 3/9/15 6:23 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My face and neck continued to improve for longer than a year after I hit maintenance (I had VSG when I was 51, now I'm 53).  You can always go in and get a consultation (which I did) but you want to absolutely wait for the procedure until you've lost ALL your excess weight and have maintained it for awhile.  You'll be surprised how much the face does improve and kind of fills back in.  

Also, most facial plastic procedures are totally outpatient so you go home the same day.  Some doctors don't even use full anesthesia.  The pain and recovery shouldn't be anything close to what you've already experienced with VSG.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

ipray
on 3/9/15 10:14 am
VSG on 11/06/14

That makes me feel so much better! Thank you!

butterfly3851
on 3/9/15 2:08 am - TX

Thanks Tracy!  I'm glad to hear that the face can fill back in.  i've been told that my face has "fallen" due to the weight loss - around the mouth area.  

I'm not planning any facial surgery yet but was considering maybe fillers - but scared.  Think I'll wait!!!

ib40
on 3/13/15 11:57 am

I hardly ever post anymore, but am really considering an LBL and have been lurking for awhile. I thought I would weigh in on fillers. I lost about 90 lbs. with a VSG I had done 3.5 years ago. I was a lightweight to begin with so it was not a massive amount. However, my face is much thinner now.

I just had fillers done for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I was worried because I have seen some women who have fillers done and they look like muppets afterwards. So I opted to use both Voluma and "regular" Juvederm. It is amazing! I had 2 syringes of Voluma done on my cheek bones (one on each side) which greatly decreased the lines around my mouth and one syringe of Juvederm to fill in some of the residual marionette lines.

I highly recommend having a plastic surgeon administer it, even if it costs more. There is an art to distributing it evenly under the skin and in the correct place so it looks natual. In fact. two days after I had it done (telling no one but my husband and son), I went to see my mom. As we sat there talking, she actually--out of the blue-- said, "Do you remember how much you used to hate your cheekbones when you were younger? I bet you don't hate them now. Look how wonderful they look on you now!" I contemplated just nodding and agreeing with her, but I started laughing and had to tell her that it wasn't "all me" anymore and it is partly filler now.

The Voluma especially is worth the money. I highly recommend it.

Most Active