Need your opinion: can I work from home on day 7 after LBL and BL?

Dcgirl
on 2/16/15 4:17 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi OH friends,

I am soooo excited and soooo nervous about my scheduled Lower Body Lift and Breast Lift that I am having on Friday, March 20th.

My surgeon specializes in PS on people who have lost a ton of weight, and I love him and his practice.  I am in very good hands.  He estimates that I will be in surgery for approximately 9 hours.  It's on a Friday.

I work from home in Marketing, which means conference calls and emails and working on presentations and documents and the like.  It's not strenuous in the least.  I have only been in this job for 8 months so I can't take a ton of time off.  I am planning on telling my boss that I am having a surgical procedure on Friday and need to take off Friday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

I know recovery times vary, and I was completely fine after RNY and was out and about on day 4...but curious if you think I can be back online and answering emails on day 6 or 7?  I have read through a ton of posts and I am very aware that most people take off anywhere from 2-4 weeks, and if I had a physical job or even had to commute to an office, I would likely have to do that as well.  But since I work from home, do you think I can feasibly be awake, sitting, and thinking on day 7?  For 8 or fewer hours a day?

If you have had these procedures, I am also curious what exactly made your recovery take so long - inability to focus on work due to pain?  Fogginess from pain pills?  Confusion from anesthesia?  I have only ever had a one hour torn meniscus and a one hour RNY procedure so I have no clue what it is going to be like to recover from this!  I am TERRIFIED.

Thanks, all!  Emily

Stacy_WLS
on 2/16/15 4:30 am

I had LBL, BL/BA & small thigh lift on 11/7.  I think you could work from home that early out, but you will be TIRED.  It would be best if you could avoid too many meetings so that you can listen to your body and nap when needed -- this way you could still answer e-mails and work on your presentations etc, but not be on someone elses schedule.  

If you could do half days for a bit then go back full time after 2 weeks you would probably be better off.  

I went back to work at 2.5 weeks out and ended up needing an additional week at home.  The recovery from this was much much worse than from the VSG.  It was just full body exhaustion.

Good luck! 

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Dcgirl
on 2/16/15 10:58 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Thanks for the answer, Stacy!  I am hopeful I can work from home those two days of that week, and then have another weekend to do nothing :)  I appreciate the feedback...I am mentally prepping for full body exhaustion.  I am pretty terrified, to be honest, but also excited!

manditude
on 3/19/15 5:24 pm

Hey DCGirl - I am having LBL and BL done in a couple of weeks. Could you let me know how your recovery goes? I'd love to take off only a week too, or at least do a week out and a week half-time or emails-only. 

Also good luck today - and congrats!!

-Mandi
DSFacts
5'1" HW: 360  SW: 337? CW: 132 GW: 130
DS: March 2011, Plastics: LBL+BLA: April 2015

Terry H.
on 2/16/15 4:54 am

I was unable to sit in an upright chair at that point.  I  returned to work at the 2 week point but had to work from my recliner.  I also couldn't do a full day for the first week because it was exhausting.  Of course, your mileage may vary.  I was pretty much up to snuff at about 3.5 or 4 weeks for working at home from my chair (as I recall).

Terry

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

Dcgirl
on 2/16/15 10:58 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Thanks, Terry!  I can work from my recliner for sure (currently investigating what recliner to buy!).  I can't even fathom being at home for two weeks straight so this is going to be an adjustment for me for sure.  I am willing to do it though :)

Sherrie P.
on 2/16/15 9:08 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Pain medicine, pain, discomfort... exhaustion -- all reasons I didn't pop back to work. RNY was easy-peasy compared to the plastics. I was in surgery 5.5 hours and felt like I wa**** by a bus. I missed 2 days of my life for sure. If you don't have a laptop and  recliner I am going to say no way in hell. If you have a lap top, a recliner, and a flexible...oops I gotta take a nap now schedule you could probably do it.

I am not trying to scare you, well - maybe a little '-) you know we have talked before... I just don't want you to be surprised. Plastics is much much harder than WLS.   That being said, you will love the results!!  I went back for round 2 - so it was nothing I couldn't live with!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Dcgirl
on 2/16/15 11:01 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Thanks, Sherrie!  I do have a lap top, am going to buy a recliner, and have a job where I can randomly nap, so I am feeling pretty positive about this :)  I don't want to be surprised - I just can't even fathom what the pain and exhaustion will be like since my most intensive surgery to date was RNY and was so easy for me.  I know this is gonna be a whole different ball game.  Also, pain meds make me feel sick so I have that to look forward to.  Luckily I have every faith in my surgeon so I know it's going to go well (this is what I keep repeating to myself).

I am glad you went back for round 2 - it must mean the memory fades :)

I can't not love the results because my boobs and skin now are not lovable!  LOL

Sherrie P.
on 2/16/15 11:13 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Pain meds and anesthesia make me nauseous so ask for phenergan!

i am still sleeping in my recliner three weeks post op :) best investment ever

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Dcgirl
on 2/16/15 11:48 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Funny - I was shopping for them online this morning.  I live in a city apartment so I don't have a ton of space.  This seems pretty compact and perfect, but I don't know if it will be comfy to sleep in.  Do you recommend I get a full-on lazy-boy recliner?  Curious what you think.  It sounds like a recliner is a must!

Most Active