Drains

Waterme27
on 2/7/15 2:42 am

could somebody please explain this drains to me? How long are they on, are they uncomfortable, how do you care for them , they must attach to a bag if some sort ? Thanks for your help in advance 

Mell
on 2/7/15 4:10 am

For my TT and revision I had two the came out in my pubic area and are a plastic tube with a bulb F the end. The bulb has a opening sort of like a beach ball. You squeeze the bulband close the opening that creates a vacuum to slowly suck out the fluid buildup. You will empty and log the amounts for your doctor.

They are uncomfortable because of where they are located I acc identity would pull them a bit when moving around and they are sewn in place.  

They came out the first time after a month and for the revision less than two weeks. I think from research most people get them out sooner.

good luck 

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Waterme27
on 2/7/15 6:07 am

Thank you for your response. This is the only thing that makes me hesitant about getting the surgery. They say no lifting for how long ? 

Karen R.
on 2/10/15 10:44 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

I was actually told no lifting more than 10 lbs. for three months.  So every doctor is different.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Mell
on 2/9/15 1:47 am

For me it was no lifting for 4 - 6 weeks mine ended up being 6 weeks, I had a small opening on my incision. 

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Waterme27
on 2/9/15 2:26 am

I have a two month son and don't know a realistic time frame to be able to have this done die to the lifting . 

emelar
on 2/9/15 3:16 am - TX

The lifting is usually a restriction on anything over 10 lbs for anywhere from 4-6 weeks.

The drains are a nuisance, but not a reason to not get the surgery.  They're removed when your output reaches a level set by your doctor.

Waterme27
on 2/9/15 3:19 am

Thanks for responding 

jeterway
on 2/9/15 5:41 am

I would agree that the drains are not a reason to avoid the surgery.  They are annoying but produce very little pain if any at all.  They do take some maintenance.  They can be in as little as a few days or last quite a few weeks - that all depends on your body and how much of the liquid is produced.  But the first day with drains is the worst.  After that you learn to function with them.  You learn how to shower, how to dress, how to hide them.  As you gain your strength back the drains become less of a bother especially as the decrease in output.  The alternative is not pretty.  If they are pulled too early, the liquid builds up in the body and swelling occurs.  In many instances, the PS has to use a large needle to remove that liquid although I have heard that for some folks the liquid is absorbed by the body.

FSUMom
on 2/9/15 8:07 pm

Hi,

I had drains too, however, the doctor took mine out before I went home.  You have to have the drainage, it's gross but it is essential.

Good luck

Most Active