Muscle Tightening?

Robbin B.
on 2/5/15 3:49 am - Bergenfield, NJ

Has anyone had the abdominal part of a body lift done without muscle tightening?

Surgeon says I can skip this part, which is difficult to recover from, because I didn't have children.

Mell
on 2/5/15 4:35 am

I did at my first go around at my anchor where they removed 10lbs of skin, recover sucked! But I had a whole lot to remove.

I recently had a revision that included the tightening and it has not been too bad not nearly as hard as the first one. It was weird I was unable this time to cough, yell, or eat much.

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

David147
on 7/4/15 1:19 am

Did you stretch your arm muscles beforehand? They're just tightening because you've just forced them to lift heavy objects. You can eat bananas and oranges to help from cramping, and drink water also. It's also best if you constantly move, your arm that's tightened, so it doesn't tighten so hard it hurts real bad. :)

DrL
on 2/5/15 10:34 am - Houston, TX

The degree of separation of your muscles determine whether or not they need to be tightened.  IN my younger patients considering future pregnancy, I will also often defer the tightening.

If you care to visit http://www.drlomonaco.com/tummy-tuck/ Case # and Case 9 are good examples of clearly separated muscles that were repaired.

Best Wishes 

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
emelar
on 2/6/15 12:34 am - TX

I don't have kids either, and believe me, my muscles needed to be tightened.  It has nothing to do with having kids and everything to do with whether you have muscle separation or not.  If you don't, then good for you - it will make your recovery a lot less painful.

Laura in Texas
on 2/6/15 6:50 am

Excess weight can also cause muscle separation. I wanted the best results possible so I got mine tightened.

It was not that difficult to recover from.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Sherrie P.
on 2/10/15 10:12 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I would not put myself through surgery without the whole enchilada. If you are going for it... go for it all. He really would not know what condition your muscles are in without getting in there. Depending on how you carry your weight, just obesity is cause for tightening. 

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Karen R.
on 2/10/15 10:49 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

I've not had children and my fitness level was pretty darned good going into my plastic surgery.  I'd been working out with a personal trainer for nearly a year and a half prior to my date, and was able to hold a plank for two minutes (among other ab benchmarks).  I still had muscle tightening done.  It wasn't that bad, honestly.  I wouldn't bother going through a tummy tuck/LBL without getting that area improved fully.  I love the way my middle looks now!  :-)

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

alexclinton
on 2/11/15 1:12 pm

Yes, muscle tightening surgery may not be necessary for you. It depends solely on the degree of separation of the muscles. Skip the procedure if you want to avoid pain. Muscle tightening of the abdominal and pelvic region may be achieved through aerobics and other exercises and is a far better idea than surgery. Running and swimming are the other options for muscle tightening.

andrewt159
on 3/4/15 12:29 pm - beverly hills, CA
Most Active