Shouldn't lipo be done before the surgeries? Not with??

Jen Lyn
on 1/31/15 9:49 pm
RNY on 11/11/13

Shouldn't the lipo be done before a tummy tuck and face lift so the skin can be as tight as possible? Wouldn't losing the last few pounds post surgery give me a loose look?

I have talked to two surgeons and the one insists skin still shrinks but I am almost 50 so that sounds wrong. Also, shouldn't I wait until I have lost every pound and kept it off a while? He says I have been stable for six months and may be done but I have another 20 to go. I am 14 months post RNY. Thanks.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/1/15 3:22 am
VSG on 10/09/12

My surgeon does lipo at the same time as any other procedure. I would want to be at my goal weight for a good six months before plastics or within a 10 lb range. If you lose more (or gain) than 10 lbs after plastics you might not have as good as a result as you would like.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Jen Lyn
on 2/1/15 11:51 pm
RNY on 11/11/13

That makes sense to me. Thank you.

DrL
on 2/1/15 9:37 pm - Houston, TX

Lipo has many different uses, but as the other posters have wisely pointed out, it should never substitute for weight loss.  It can be useful for stubborn areas that remain once you are at a stable goal weight however.  I also use it to shape the final result at the end of the procedure. In staged procedures, I will sometimes pre-treat area I am going to lift or tighten later. 

In weight loss patients, the skin ALWAYS relaxes some, even after a lift.  Its even worse with lipo alone.  Lipo does not significantly tighten skin no matter if it's done with "the laser" or any other technique.  Young patients with minimal fat, no pregnancies, and good skin will see a bit of shrinking after lipo. Age, genetics, pregnancy, weight-gain and loss cycles, and large weight loss are all important factors that predict the skin will NOT shrink after lipo. Hope this helps.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Jen Lyn
on 2/1/15 11:53 pm
RNY on 11/11/13

Yes, this helps.  I am almost 50 so I doubt the skin will bounce back at all.  I am going to keep trying to get the last pounds off through diet and exercise, then go have plastic surgery. 

valerie45
on 2/9/15 7:16 am

I had heard about "large volume lipo" in conjunction with a regulated diet and exercise program helps aid in weight loss.  There was a clinic in Atlanta that had this on their website.  Do you recommend?  They said it was for patients that had about 70 pounds to lose - and stressed that it was not a weight loss fix all.  I've got stubborn "pear" shape and some areas will just not go away conventionally.  Would love your opinion on this.  Thank you

Most Active