CANADA QUESTIONS....Alberta Health

skpponts
on 1/22/15 10:49 am

Anyone get approved for plastics from AHC? I know that they will do a panniculectomy and breast reduction if deemed medically necessary. I have my consultation in the first week of February with a Lethbridge plastic surgeon and I am very nervous. Anyone get approved for both of these? I want to see if I can get them done at the same time. anyone have any comments or suggestions to give me some hope. I have lost over 120 pounds from RNY in March 2014. I am very unhappy with my lower skin (panniculectomy) and my breasts. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

cutekatie
on 1/24/15 2:06 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I don't know if this helps as I thought every province had a similar health plan.

I thought that plastics, if medically necessary, are covered by provincial health care, and thus private insurance doesn't cover it.

I'm in Ontario and some plastic surgeries are covered but my private insurance doesn't cover ANY plastics.

Hope you get other, more specific answers.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

skpponts
on 1/24/15 2:45 am

Thanks cutekatie! I hope I get more answers too.... if all else fails I will just wait till my appointment. :S

sk8muffsmom
on 1/24/15 12:15 pm - Canada

I'm from Ontario and was covered by OHIP for the panniculectomy, breast lift and reduction, the muscle repair was also covered because I had a large hernia. Everything was done at once and the only out of pocket I paid was for the lipo. I'm sure it must be close to the same for every province in Canada. Not all plastic surgeons are willing to apply for coverage to the provincial health care but if you think you might be a "medically necessary" then exhaust all options. Good Luck.

skpponts
on 1/25/15 12:54 am

Thank you for your reply. Yes I will have to see what happens after my consult. I would love to hear more about your journey to plastics, healing? process? do you have any before or after pictures? Thank you for the help :)

sk8muffsmom
on 1/25/15 1:30 pm - Canada

I've lost 100+lbs by diet & exercise over 8 years. As with a lot of massive weight lost people, I was left with saggy skin (which was an understatement!) I also had 3 vertical cut  c-sections with large babies. I consulted with two plastic surgeons, first one was ok but he claimed that "there was no way ohip would fund any portion of a panniculectomy" and I left there with a quote for just under $11,000 for a full tummy tuck with lipo. He said we would address my breasts after my tummy was taken care of. Second plastic surgeon was completely different..... "Lets see if we can get funding from ohip for panni, breast lift & reduction" ( in his opinion I had the criteria for both) But "you just never know" .... so...... turns out I was pre-approved for both; hernia was a given( which by repairing takes care of the muscles) and I had the surgery at the end of January 2014, I was on the table for 4 1/2 hours. Recovery was not bad and I was back to the gym in 10 weeks. Six weeks ago I under went a thigh lift & scar revision( he tighten my tummy up even more.) I just had to pay for thighs. OMG, After first surgery I bared my belly by my back yard pool..... but after this past surgery I'm ready to strut a beach! I'm mad at myself for not taking before & after pictures but my PS did and when I go in for my next follow up in 6 weeks I'll ask him to email them to me. He stated that even he was amazed with my transformation from the first time he saw me to now. Without sounding too melodramatic, it  has made a huge difference in my life. I'm in my mid- 50's and my weight is 150 lbs. Good Luck & I'm sure  you won't regret it.

skpponts
on 1/26/15 3:58 am

That is amazing! So excited for you. Thank you for telling me about your journey. It really helps. I hope my surgeon understand my cir****tances and realizes that I would like AHC to step in cause I  know its medically necessary and I cant come up with the $$$$ to get it done! I will let you know when I go to the consult. Thanks again and congrats on the new bod! :)

Most Active