Epidural Complications?

KristieA
on 1/11/15 2:39 pm - Orillia, Canada

Hello.   I'm not sure if anyone has had this experience or can offer some advice.   I had a fleur de lis TT last Monday.   Everything went well.   Surgeon was pleased and from what I can tell he did a fantastic job.   During my initial consultation we spoke about the use of epidurals for pain management.   I've had them in the past with cortisone injected to alleviate low back pain.   During one I had a problem with a leak and wound up with a doozy of a headache for two days. At first I was adamant to avoid an epidural but minutes before the surgery changed my mind in favour of an epidural to reduce the amount of narcotics post op.  

Tuesday I was released from the hospital and by the time I got home 2 hours later I started getting what I thought was a migraine. Chalked it up to low blood sugar,  stress and not eating much for three days.   By 5pm I couldn't stand up without a blinding headache.   Pain went from a 2 to a 10 in less than a minute.   Finally went to the emergency Thursday  and sure enough I have an epidural leak.   

So my question is..... I've had to be flat on my back.   Not the best position with a Tummy Tuck. Been trying to keep my knees elevated.   At 6 days post op I am almost able to lay completely flat.   Is this OK or have I possibly stretched the internal stitching in my abs?   What about my incisions,  will they be widened?  I asked in Emerge and they said you don't have much of a choice but to lay like I have been. Maybe I'm just over tired and over thinking things.   I was hoping it wouldn't last this long,  but today is  the first day I've been able to stand for more than 2 mins without having to lay back down. 

Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Needanewbeginning
on 1/11/15 10:38 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Oh you poor thing! Ouch! I hope you start to feel better soon. Laying on my back has been so uncomfortable during my recovery from my tt. I have been so happy the past week or so that I am able to lay on my side a little easier now.

I know you must be very stressed about all this but honestly, I am sure your incisions are healing beautifully. Standing isn't easy at all especially for more than a few minutes at first, but it really does get better every day pal.

Who did your surgery?

Annette 👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

KristieA
on 1/12/15 12:20 am - Orillia, Canada

Hi Annette 

I had Dr. Nandagopal in Toronto.   He was fantastic.   

Thanks for your kind words. I half expected a set back but not quite like this.   One day at a time.   I know this will be 100% worth it,  just a lot of work right now.  I'm the type of person that hates to ask for help and I am fiercely independent.  Celebrating the small successes today.   I managed to get up on my own (well not much of a choice since I'm alone....lol), made coffee and breakfast.   Oh and the best.....made it to noon without a nap. 

Thanks again, 

Kristie 

Mell
on 1/12/15 1:00 am

I would assume that if you wore your binder it should keep your incisions together enough...Good luck sorry you are having such trouble!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

KristieA
on 1/12/15 1:23 am - Orillia, Canada

Thanks Mell 

I have it on and as tight as I can get it. At least it reminds me to stop eating when I'm full....lol.

Needanewbeginning
on 1/12/15 3:12 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Love wearing my binder, it really makes me feel better. it's getting too big now, I may go get a smaller size!

I still wanna nap, resisting now because I was finding it was disrupting my sleep at night, so I am still tired but just have a leg up rest on the couch each afternoon now.

Keep well my friend.

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Ihearttennis
on 1/13/15 10:26 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I am so sorry to hear about your complications.  I'm praying for your quick recovery. I started getting terrible headaches from the pain meds so I can only imagine how awful you must feel from an epidural leak.

I personally wouldn't worry about scars right now. Once you are back to normal your doctor can work with you to minimize the scars.

Please take care of yourself and keep us posted on your progress.

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Moat916
on 1/14/15 2:54 am - Simpsonville, SC

Ask for a blood patch.  It will fix things up in about an hour.

KristieA
on 1/15/15 12:50 pm - Orillia, Canada

Well I'm now into day 10 of this headache.   It is getting better.   At least I can sit up now.   Anesthesiologist didn't want to do a blood patch.   Said to wait it out and take even higher amounts of caffeine.  

Plastics wise everything is great. Haven't needed any pain meds for two days.   Drains are out and incisions dry.   Each time I fall asleep I hope to wake up with no headache.   Maybe tomorrow will be my day.   

I was able to stand long enough today to see my surgeon's handiwork.   He is truly an artist.   Dang I look pretty good 😆

Most Active