Seroma

butterfly3851
on 12/29/14 11:00 am, edited 12/29/14 12:50 pm - TX

Well - guess I've developed a seroma after my tummy tuck - I'm 3 1/2 weeks out.  Went for my check-up today and saw the physicians assistant who told me she needed to aspirate the fluid.  She could not get anything out so I'm going for an ultrasound tomorrow and they will aspirate the area.  After she pointed out the fluid movement in my abdomen  - I could see the swelling.  Also, my mons area is swollen.  I got my drains out at one week after surgery - wonder if I got them out too soon.  My plastic surgeon was in surgery today so I did not see him.  

Other than that - I'm starting to have more energy!  

emelar
on 12/30/14 1:59 am - TX

Sorry to hear about the seroma.  It's probably the most common complication.  I assume your surgeon waited until your drains weren't producing before pulling them?  Most surgeons want the drainage below a certain number for at least 24 hours before they'll pull.  If they were pulled too soon, it might have caused the seroma - but the seroma might have formed anyway.  Hopefully, they'll be able to get the fluid out and it won't come back!

The mons swelling is very usual and doesn't have anything to do with the seroma.  It'll go down over time.

butterfly3851
on 12/30/14 7:38 am - TX

Thanks!  My seroma(s) was drained on either side of my abdomen with the ultrasound. Wasn't painful - just two "bee stings" of numbing medicine.  The radiologist told me not to be surprised if the fluid returns and we may have to put drains back in but for now I am fluid free!  

I was reading an article about complications with thigh lift surgery and seroma's are very common - especially with people with high blood pressure - I did not get thigh surgery but do regulate my blood pressure with medication. 

DrL
on 1/6/15 9:23 pm - Houston, TX

Glad your seroma was drained easily. Yes..seromas are very common and can cause the skin to not stick down properly to the body wall, which can affect results. Rarely, they can get infected.

I probably get them in 20% of my patients !  So much so that I keep an ultrasound in my office and I learned over the years that if you drain them when they are still small they can usually be absorbed before a bigger pocket forms.  Keep us posted and hope you are enjoying your results !

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/15 4:18 am

Seromas are still very bothersome and drains usually help. In my experience, I remove them when the drainage becomes less than 20 or so cc during 24hours. Usually, if it is aspirated, it may not recur. Make sure you do wear compression girdle after. Dr. Domanskis

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery 1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307 Newport Beach, California 92660 949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca) Website: http://www.surgery-plastic.com Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine) Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors  Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012/2013 President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org

Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com

Scar Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

Sid1
on 3/13/16 10:22 am

I need to have an ultrasound down to have drain put back in due to seroma after tummy tuck. My question is, did your insurance cover that? My doctor told me that I have to use my insurance for this. 

Thank you!

Most Active