Stopping supplements 7 days before surgery??

Jodi77
on 12/28/14 1:51 am - Scarborough, Canada
RNY on 02/05/13

On Jan 5 I am having a breast lift.  In my pre-op the nurse told me to stop all HERBAL supplements 14 days before surgery and Vitamin E and Multivitamin 7 dayd before.  There's no mentiom of calcium citrate,  B12, D, iron etc. And she was NOT understanding me when I was trying to clarify. (So frusterating).  Im worried what happens if i take them all as normal,  and I'm concerned that if I don't take them I will weaken my body for the surgery.   Can anyone share what they had to do before their plastic surgery? ?

Thanks!

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” 
 Dr. Seuss

Orientation: March 2012      Blah Blah Blah     Surgery:  February 5, 2013

jeterway
on 12/28/14 2:37 am

I had to stop everything that had a potential blood thinner in it.  So that included a multi, along with a vit e that I normally took and a 81 mg aspirin that I took.  They really don't want you taking anything that can cause issues with blood loss prior to surgery.  My ps had a vitamin pack for me to purchase that helped with healing and bruising but I was also having lipo.  I don't think a couple of weeks will cause any issues as long as your levels are good.  You will be able to get back on them not too long after surgery.

Crazeru
on 12/30/14 5:04 am

MakeMeHeal has vitamins for pre-surgery w/o Vit E and post-op vits that you can order.  Dr Sauceda has no Vit E 15 days before surgery.  I took the rest of my vits w/o any problems.  I did do the MakeMeHeal vits pre & post for my first PS, the 2nd time, just did the preop MakeMeHeal vits, then added my Vit E back into my normal vitamins post-op.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

emelar
on 12/30/14 6:02 am - TX

I was told not to take vitamin E (wasn't taking it anyway) and my low dose daily aspirin.  As others said, it's about blood thinning.  I suspect they told you to stay off of all herbal supplements because there's all sorts of stuff that people take, and it's easier to just tell them to stop!  You should be ok with calcium, B12, D, iron and your multi (as long as it doesn't have E in it).  My doc also had me take vitamin C to help with healing.

Jodi77
on 12/30/14 6:41 am - Scarborough, Canada
RNY on 02/05/13

Thank you very much for the advice.  I feel better knowing that.  It makes me so upset that SOME people in the medical field don't take the time to be clear and answer questions for you.  It might just be your job, but it's my well being!

Thanks again!

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” 
 Dr. Seuss

TeashaLorna
on 12/30/14 6:44 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

I was told no vitamins, no herbs and no herbal teas etc for 14 days prior to surgery. No cold meds either. I still had internal bleeding; but it would have been much worse if I had not done what they said.

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Cynthia L.
on 12/31/14 5:53 am - Clarence, NY

My lower body lift and Brazilian butt lift is scheduled for 1/22 with Dr. Agha. I was also told no E, so I'm stopping my Bariatric Advantage multi (since it has E) and taking A drops, B-complex, chewable C, dry D, plus iron and coq10.

He also has me taking other homeopathic items, to promote healing.

I'm starting to get a bit nervous, but mostly with the logistics than the surgery/pain.

Cyn

chrissie_hynde_kitty_std-2-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castleBad boys get spanked. - Chrissie Hynde Lifeposter-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castle

Jodi77
on 1/7/15 10:51 pm - Scarborough, Canada
RNY on 02/05/13

Ok so its all over with.  Breasts lifted on Monday and I'm recovering well.   Should have asked the doctor when i can start taking my vitamins again.  Any ideas?

Dr. Seuss

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/15 4:26 am

I usually recommend that my patients stop all medications and supplements two weeks prior and two weeks after. Unfortunately, many of these compounds contain aspirin which thins the blood(even a small amount for a week) and causes more bleeding which is counterproductive because of the large areas that are involved in bariatric plastic surgery. Dr.Domanskis

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery 1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307 Newport Beach, California 92660 949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca) Website: http://www.surgery-plastic.com Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine) Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors  Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012/2013 President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org

Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com

Scar Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

Most Active