Arm Lift/Panniculectomy removal gone wrong???

Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/23/14 2:05 pm

I haven't read everyone's response, but I do know that some surgeon's use a team to help them get their procedures done in a timely manner.  It's possible he had another surgeon or resident helping on your other side.  Most will tell you if they do, but some others do not.  Also most surgeons ask you to wait 6 months before requesting a revision.  If you can clearly see that it was an error made on their part, some will pay for their part of a revision and you pay for the anesthesia and the surgery center.  I would absolutely mention it to your surgeon when you return for your follow up and ask him point blank if he had an assistant on that side of your body and what he plans to do to fix this issue if it still is obvious at 6 months post op.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

DrL
on 12/24/14 2:27 am - Houston, TX

I didn't see any photos, but as a general rule skin removal surgery after weight loss is very challenging (I say this after over 10 years of experience in this area with plenty of my own challenges).  Revisions are part of these surgeries, and I plan for them.

That said, most surgeons have a revision policy, and it could involve correction of the work being covered by him (although you could be responsible for OR and anesthesia).  Your surgeon is likely also unsatisfied with the result and it's in his best interest to get you looking your best.  Communicate your concerns to him and use photos as needed. 

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
koremins
on 12/30/14 12:04 am - Canada

I personally disagree when someone says surgeons can't get everything right and/or would charge for a revision. When you pay for a product or service, you have every right to get what you paid for, and if you don't, then any ethical surgeon will work with you to make it right without trying to get more money out of you.  A surgeon can make a mistake, but how you handle your mistakes says a lot about your credibility.  I could accept that a surgeon could make a mistake...but I could never accept him/her using their own mistake as an opportunity to make more money off me.  I have had many many plastic surgeries over the course of 15 yrs (MANY), and only once did I not get the result I expected but the surgeon did a revision, did not charge me anything, and even if I hadn't gotten the results I wanted following the revision I would have accepted that he's now done what he could to fix it or accepted that he's not a skilled surgeon to begin with and moved on.  But I would never personally pay a dime to any surgeon to fix their own mistake. Please be careful not to get taken advantage of or told that you shouldn't expect good results because you're a bariatric surgery patient.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/30/14 10:12 am

Skin removal post massive weight loss is not easy and perfection is not ours to expect. How dare we think that we can abuse our bodies with obesity for years - lose massive weight and then expect perfection. Our skin is stretched beyond what it should be. Perfection and beauty post skin removal is rare. We shouldn't expect it! 

koremins
on 12/30/14 11:07 am - Canada

I agree, perfection for anyone is likely not attainable, however, my post was about our right to get what we pay for, I doubt any of us go into surgery thinking we've paid for perfection.  I would assume any good surgeon would work to ensure a patients expectations are realistic or not do surgery.  Taking money from someone in the absence of an understanding of realistic outcomes is simply unethical.  Just because someone was previously obese doesn't mean any surgeon has a right to take advantage of that.  The same standards of care, ethics, and communication must be present regardless of "why" a person needs plastic surgery.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/30/14 11:20 am

I agree. But sometimes even an experienced and skilled surgeon cannot fix our issues.  They can do the best they can do. Often times,  they won't knit they until they get you on the table and open.

Most Active