Fundraising tips to raise money for surgery?

Amanda M.
on 11/7/14 7:10 am
RNY on 01/18/13

Hi all! I am almost two years post op from my gastric bypass. I lost 120 pounds, gained 10 back, and have stayed here for about 16-18 months. So I am now looking to have a tummy tuck. I have abdominal muscle damage and back problems, so my doctor submitted a pre-auth to my insurance company, but warned me that in the last 5 years he has only seen 1 approval for a tummy tuck. So right now I need to try to raise about $9000 for the surgery that will be due before I can even schedule the surgery. I am a stay at home mom because my two children have special needs. My husband works but does not make enough for us to save up for this surgery. I mean, we could, but it will take YEARS. I was just wondering if anyone else had to raise money for their surgery and has any tips?

Thanks!

Laura in Texas
on 11/7/14 9:02 pm

Make sure your credit score is good and take out a loan. It's usually around the same amount as a car payment so many people put off getting a new car when they get plastic surgery. Think of things you can cut back on around the house- cable, eating out, entertainment, etc. Are you crafty? Make something and sell it. There are many groups on facebook or you could sell on ebay.

What about getting a job in the evenings when your husband is home with the kids? Not ideal, but where there is a will, there is a way.

You could also check out residency plastic surgery options in your area. They are usually much less expensive. My arms bugged me the most so I had them done first. Then I made a plan for the rest. 

Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

rissa1224
on 11/10/14 9:51 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

I just booked an upper arm lift. I have 0 money (aside from the $1,000 I spared to put down to book the date). I took out a loan for $10,000. $5,500 went to the rest of my arm lift and the $4,500 went to pay off the majority of a huge credit card I had. It was the smarter way to do it. Based on my credit score and the amount of loans I already have - the interest rate is 11.9% (was 9.9 but my score wasn't 'fantastic') but my credit card had 18.9% (which is what I was going to  just charge my arm lift on). So if you look at credit unions they usually have better rates! Good luck!

Ihearttennis
on 11/10/14 9:58 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I put off getting a new car for a year, refinanced my house and took a second job.  My surgery is in December.

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Nikke2003
on 11/10/14 10:00 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I would recommend getting a part-time job, if possible. Every little bit helps. If you have any kind of experience with doing admin type work, you could check out Elance.com - this is a site where I started getting work for my freelance business a few years ago which was really helpful in saving half the money I needed for plastics.

If you can join a local credit union, that would be helpful too. I was able to get a personal loan at 5% interest rate through the credit union when it was going to be 8.9% at my regular bank. Of course, those rates always depend on credit scores, so do what you can to improve yours before applying!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/11/14 4:04 pm

I sold my new car and drove an old hand me down from my daughter,

Moved out of my house (rented it)  and into a one room studio apt.

got a second job and worked it (full time nights - 6 - 12 hour shifts a week

cut cable tv out, got rid of wifi at home, various other things to save money.

I realize your have children and need to stay at home.  Maybe you could do a part time job in the evenings while you're husband is home to watch the kids.   IT wasn't easy working two full time jobs and I cried when I left my car and home, but if it's important to you, you will make the sacrifices needed.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Laura in Texas
on 11/11/14 11:08 pm

I was hoping you would reply!! I remember you sharing this before. You are my hero and a poster child of "Where there is a will, there is a way"!!

I hope you are doing well!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/12/14 10:19 am

Thanks!!! You're so sweet!!!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/14 1:25 am

I would definitely "push" your plastic surgeon to submit your information to your insurance carrier for coverage. We have had much more success it getting postbariatric plastic surgery procedures approved! It may take a long time through appeals also, but it is worth it. Also, I often give substantial discounts for my patients that are willing to tell their stories to the media. You may want to check other members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons(www.ASBPS.org) in your area and ask their offices. Finally, we do offer our patients various financing options including some for patients that have very poor credit.

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery 1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307 Newport Beach, California 92660 949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca) Website: http://www.surgery-plastic.com Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine) Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012/2013 President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org

Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com

Scar Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

Most Active