5 days post-op TT and Hernia repair

Ashley in Belgium
on 11/9/14 6:30 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Sorry to be so late - I have been back in hospital for some complications - RNY related and not PS related they think - so i haven't been up to being on the computer.  

I know your surgery is coming up fast so I will just say that I found the most helpful thing I did prior to surgery was being organised.

- When you get into your hospital room put everything you are going to need in the drawer of your table/on the table for easy reach.  Things like Chap stick, kleenex pack, protein bar/shake, cel phone etc.  You won't be up out of bed for a while and it was so helpful to not need to ask anyone for those things.

- Also I kept everything in small clear zip love bags (vitamins, personal items, protein etc) and that made it easy to identify what I wanted when I did need to ask for assistance.

- Also DO NOT fall behind your pain med schedule.  This was by far the most painful surgery and recovery I've ever been through.  And the medical team says it's due to the hernia repair - not just the muscle tightening. So be on top of that - don't assume they will bring you what you need on time!

- Don't be scared if you can't take a deep breath - the muscle tightening for me was so extensive and high up I thought I had my binder on post-op when in fact they put it on my on day 3!  This feeling goes away in a few days but I found it unsettling at first.

At home you will need a really good pillow for under your legs to prop them up, knees bent.  I am still using mine 2.5 weeks out and will for the rest of the month.  So it's worth having a good one.

Otherwise - pillow for the car ride home - even one to sit on as my butt hurt almost as much as my tummy since you must stay on your back!  

Good luck with your surgery.  I hope it goes well and that you recover quickly!  Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active