5 days post-op TT and Hernia repair

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/28/14 1:04 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Hi All -

I am 5 days out from an extended TT with extensive muscle repair (for the text books apparently) and had 3 hernias repaired at the same time.  The hernias were in fact the reason for the surgery - the TT, diastis repair etc were all necessary to keep me from having more hernias later down the line.  I am 14.5 months post-op revision RNY and have lost 126 pounds.  I am currently way below goal at 127 lbs.  I had 700g of skin/fat removed (1.6lb) and lost 2 more pounds while in hospital.

I have got to say that this was my most painful surgery - the muscle tightening is not for the wimpy! - and the recovery at this point is tedious and painstaking.  I can only say RESPECT to those who have had multiple PS at a time as that is unimaginable to me having gone through this.  This was my sixth abdominal surgery so I am not a novice!  Every day it is better and I am much more mobile now that I am home.  I was able to be released from the hospital on day 3 post-op as my drains were all removed due to low output.  

If anyone is interested I will post in a follow-up some of the things I found useful (that I learned from this site and others) as well as things that I thought I'd need/use but didn't.  Anyway - this is mostly a shout out that I made it through to the otherside cause there were a few tough moments when I was thinking WTH did I do???  Today though I am starting to see the positive - I definitely have a defined waist and my tummy jiggles are gone!! 

Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

emelar
on 10/28/14 1:56 am - TX

Ashley, congratulations on making it to the other side!  Yes, the muscle repair is an absolute *****  And you'll definitely have moments or days of remorse over why the hell you did it to yourself.  But it WILL pass.  Don't try to be a hero - take your pain meds and get lots of rest.

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/28/14 2:19 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Thanks!  I've got timers dinging all over the place to keep me in line with the pain meds (which means 1g of parecetemol every 6 hours, but I don't want to be a minute behind!)  They are not big on narcotics here in Belgium - even in hospital I only got IV tyelenol.  I did have a sort of Epidural Block left in after surgery that lasted for 2 days, but it didn't reach high enough and that was where the AGONY came from.  I will admit to crying in the middle of the night thinking Oh Holy Mother what did I sign up for?  But that did pass - quicker than I thought really.  I know it's all worth it in the end - but how some  folks have LBL's and arms and boobs done at the same time is absolutely beyond me.    

emelar
on 10/28/14 5:41 am - TX

They're using a new drug here - I've forgotten the name, but it's in the lidocaine family.  They bath the area in it before they close you up and it kills pain for 2-3 days.  I first heard about it from my brother with his hip replacement, but was told by my surgeon that they're now cleared to use it for tummy tucks.  Only 2 years too late for me!

They asked me to cough in recovery after my LBL.  That was the last time I coughed (or sneezed) for 6 months.  I can't imagine what it would be like to get a cold right after the muscle repair.  Gives me shivers thinking about it. 

MeliT
on 10/28/14 10:27 pm - Miami, FL

oh! i think i heard someone talk about that. is it called Exparel? the new drug? i need to make sure i ask my surgeon about this!!!

emelar
on 10/29/14 1:34 am - TX

Yup, that's the one.  My brother was on his feet from hip replacement the same day (not unusual - they always make you get up), but without any pain.  And he said that, by the time it wore off, he was over the worst of the pain and didn't take anything stronger than Aleve.  My plastic surgeon said it works well.  The only problem they're having is, because you're not feeling the pain, people are straightening out after tummy tucks before they should.  I guess you're suppose to go through the hunched over phase as part of healing.  But no pain is a good thing!

Needanewbeginning
on 10/29/14 12:41 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Oh I need to ask about that drug as well. My brother in law is an anesthesiologist in Boca Raton so I will ask if he knows and hopefully I can get it here in Canada 😄

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

sassygirl1410
on 10/31/14 4:04 am
RNY on 02/28/13

I'd love to hear your things you found useful/not useful!  I am scheduled for multiple hernia repair (they think maybe 10) and a fully abdominal wall reconstruction (mesh screen attached to my hips/ribs) and any information is helpful! 

Ashley in Belgium
on 11/3/14 11:05 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Wow - that is a major surgery you've got coming!  I will compile and post a seperate thread of things I found helpful which which will hopefuly inspie others who have been there to chime in.  WHen are you scheduled?

sassygirl1410
on 11/3/14 11:44 pm
RNY on 02/28/13

I am scheduled for November 13, but might have a delay for a week or two due to a schedule issue. Thanks-- I look forward to getting the info!

Most Active