Tummy tuck Anchor incision. Worth it?

brownblonde
on 10/27/14 9:38 am

I don't know how much weight you lost or your skin laxity.  I too plan on having kids, I'm 27 and had my TT a year ago.  The surgeon said it was a close call but ultimately she thought I would prefer the full TT and not an anchor cut although she did emphasize that you cannot pull your stomach flat unless you have the anchor.  She explained that the excess skin after obesity is like trying to flatten out a basketball that's been cut in half.  You can pull it tight, but you will always have some laxity without anchor.  I was also warned at a pre-op with a different surgeon that obese skin is a different monster from a normal post-pregnancy TT.  Stating that our skin has often lost elasticity such that even after the TT it will restretch and settle a bit.

NOw, 9 months later, I can tell you've I've noticed both of these.  My stomach absolutely looks way better than before.  All that excess skin naked or in a swimsuit almost gave an optical illusion of still being hugely overweight.  Unfortunately, when I bend over there is a bit of skin sag/minor butt in the front.  And with pants on, you can tell the pants (even though they are loose-fitting) gather my excess skin enough to "sandwich" together my stomach skin vertically.  If that makes sense.  So, yes, I would not have had that if I had an anchor cut.  I still don't know.  Because I don't really want to have a scar either!  She recommended I go on living life, maybe do some ab work, and that after I have kids I might need some tightening up anyway, and that's the time to do the anchor.  

Just my experience.  Best of luck.

MeliT
on 10/27/14 10:20 am - Miami, FL

Thank u so much for the response!!!! My docs have said due to the laxity of the skin they both recommend full TT but when I brought up the anchor cut my doc was like I'm so happy you said that. And told me I would have better results with it. To be honest at this point I don't even mind the scar. I've seen them, they're not that bad actually. And I know I will probably get a little pooch after another baby. But all that stuff is sill WAY better than walking around with all this extra skin and fat. I don't want to wait to be happy. My mom had a TT and says she wishes she would have gotten the

Wished she had gotten the anchor.

cutekatie
on 10/28/14 10:48 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I'm two months out from a fleur de lis tummy tuck with a mons lift. Both surgeons I went to said this was the best surgery and I do love my results.

One of the things I'm happy about is that I now have a belly button that is visible. Before with the rolls of skin it wasn't. I'm not sure my belly button would have been fixed otherwise.

If different surgeons are saying the same thing then it makes sense they are right.

I do have more of an hour glass shape then I did before. I had 9 pounds of skin/tissue etc removed.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

MeliT
on 10/28/14 9:53 pm - Miami, FL

congrats on the results!! same here. i haven't seem my belly button in over 10yrs. my son, he's 2, i'm teaching him about his body parts. this is your head, you eyes, your nose, etc. i showed him his belly button bc he has this cute little outtie that i don't even know where it came from bc i don't have one. lol. and he's always asking to see my belly button and i have to lift my stomach and pull down the panni for him to see it. awful. as far as mons lift, i need it badly. my later parts are so far down they're closer to reach from  behind than from the front. i honestly don't even know what its like to have a normally placed mons. i'm so curious about what that will feel like. what  a blessing that will be. i'm almost in tears when i think of all the little things in my life that will be vastly improved by this surgery. 

how are you feeling 2 months out? i'm sure you're still swollen but can you do most things you did before? also do you mind if i ask your weight before surgery? i'm currently 180lbs and i'm trying to lose another 20lbs but i don't look like everyone else. everyone else is skinny with empty skin. not me i have a stomach and pannus that are still a bit heavy. especially the pannus. but its like, detached from the body. and i know underneath that i have a normal body and muscle.

cutekatie
on 10/29/14 8:55 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I feel great and can do most things except for intense ab work. I walk, do aquafit, and lift weights.

I was 273 pounds when I had gastric bypass surgery. I got down to 162 pounds but went back up to 180-190 pounds and remained at that weight from February 2013 until now. I had surgery in August of 2014 so I was at a stable weight for 1 1/2 years.

I'm not that swollen actually. I find that by the end of the day my upper stomach is swollen but I wear the binder to bed so by the next morning everything is great.

I have to tell you that showering and not having to lift my pannus was such a shock and still is 2 months later. Finding pants that fit better is also great. I went down one size in pants simply because of the skin tightening.

I do feel guilty about not being at a normal bmi and having surgery but I am happy at this weight and know I can maintain this weight.

YOu can message me if you have any questions - I love talking and sharing about this.l

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

gabriellaz
on 10/28/14 10:38 pm - CA
VSG on 07/02/12

Lol. Just noticed my your post and that mine is similar to yours. I should have scrolled down before I posted, lol. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/14 4:57 am

If you have a lot of excess tissue width wise and you punch it together and it pulls in your waist more and you like that, then you would benefit from an anchor incision. Most of my patients are more concerned about getting off as much excess skin and tightening it up as much as possible. I am concerned about that and limiting the scars! Drd

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery 1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307 Newport Beach, California 92660 949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca) Website: http://www.surgery-plastic.com Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine) Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012/2013 President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org

Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com

Scar Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/14 5:03 am

I agree with your plastic surgeon. It is always a trade-off between a smaller and tighter waist and more scars and usually the patient opts for the former! Drd

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery 1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307 Newport Beach, California 92660 949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca) Website: http://www.surgery-plastic.com Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine) Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012/2013 President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org

Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com

Scar Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

Most Active