Tummy tuck Anchor incision. Worth it?

MeliT
on 10/24/14 4:41 am - Miami, FL

First I just want to say thank you for those of you *****sponded to my last question. So far 2 diff doctors have to me I should get a full TT even if I plan to get pregnant again. They both said it shouldn't cause any problems and the benefits will outweigh any of the wear and tear and that weighting till after I have a kid won't make much of a difference. Both agreed I would look better and be happier getting the full TT as I have soo much skin on top as well. Which makes me happy bc I really would love a full TT anyway.

i asked this doctor about an anchor incision and why it would be done. He explained it brings in the sides and makes a nicer shape because you're tightening on all sides. He said for my shape it would so wonders but I'm not really into the idea of having a long very visible scar. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Has anyone had the anchor incision?

Terry H.
on 10/24/14 6:09 am

Hey MeliT, I didn't have the anchor cut in the first round in April and now I'm headed to a revision in December.  Frankly, getting rid  of the hanging skin was a very big deal and a hell of an improvement as was the muscle tightening.  However, it didn't fully take care of the fullness I had above my belly button and I had some sort of weird scarring below the belly button.  So we are going to do some lipo on my lower back and then finish off with the anchor cut.  The doctor says that this will help my overall shape in a noticeable way but that he wasn't sure when we did the first surgery if it would be needed.  Your plan for multiple consults is a good one though as not everyone has as severe a problem as I had after losing 240.

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

MeliT
on 10/24/14 7:09 am - Miami, FL

Thanks for responding terry! That's really interesting. I would hate to have to go back. However your weight loss was massive. That's incredible. Mine was about 100lbs. So it not soo bad. I'm sure my figure would look better but not sure if it's worth it.  I will see more docs and see what they say. 

Thanks again!

indybuttercup
on 10/26/14 4:56 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Terry thanks for posting. I thought I was getting anchor, it was what was discussed as I lost over 300 lbs. i woke up, no anchor and need revision. i am upset to have to pay again as i went under thinking I was getting one surgery and got another. my dr said he hates to do anchor because of scaring and thought it was tight. after swelling went down it isn't. he has only done 2 on people who lost over 200 lbs in 20 years of surgery.

Terry H.
on 10/28/14 9:43 am

oh yeah  The truth seems to be that revisions are very common.  It has to be hard to see the outcome when dealing with very large removals .  When is your revision planned?

indybuttercup
on 10/28/14 10:27 am - Indianapolis, IN

My work pays for leave for plastics. i can't get it covered again till 1 year from surgery date so April of 2015. i do still have swelling from first surgery.

Terry H.
on 10/28/14 1:36 pm

I have swelling as well from my April surgery. I guess that's normal. I hope all goes well with our revisions. 

Ihearttennis
on 10/24/14 7:32 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I lost 100 lbs as well so you and I are in the same boat.I am having the anchor incision for the same reason.  Three out of four doctors recommended it for me. I have poor elasticity above my belly button and I don't want to have any loose skin after going through the whole process. My thought is that most of the time I will be fully dressed and will look better in my clothes.  When I am in a bathing suit I can choose to rock my bikini and not worry about the scar or wear one of those cute bikini types with the fabric up the middle. I am also REALLY hoping that the scar fades so much it won't be very visible.  At this point I am so sick of the skin I will take the scar! 

I have also seen photos of others who said they chose not to have the anchor incision and they look great.  The difference is often that they weren't as overweight for as long as I was, their skin elasticity is better and they are younger. All of those things make a big difference as to how your results will turn out.

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

MeliT
on 10/24/14 10:41 am - Miami, FL

Those are all really interesting points. The doc actually told me I had good elasticity in my skin. And he didn't bring up the anchor, I did. He just would prefer to do it because it's easier if they have to go back in and it gives a better shape. But I'm gonna see what the others say. I may not need it. 

Mell
on 10/24/14 1:02 pm

I had an anchor after a120 about loss and three kids. I really needed it but I also need a small revision they removed 10 lbs but I have lost more weight I really think you can kick up your activity level and the new confidence helps you emotionally which in turn helps you keep to the diet. But I think most of us who had massive skin removal need revisions, since we are special cases. I only know 2 on this site that came out of recovery completely satisfied but like I said it really depends on your body type. I also have never been bothered by the scars and never intended it show my midriff no matter how good I look, I have a crazy old school latina mom who drilled modesty into my mind!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Most Active