Trip to US for PS! Consultations and decisions...

simmie78
on 10/21/14 4:12 pm

Because I live in Asia, TTs for WLS patients aren't very common.  Everything here is for mommy's with little pouches so I am going to have my plastics done in MI when I'm home during the xmas holidays. I think I've decided on a dr - Dr. M. Ali in Bloomfield Hills and he will perform a TT, upper/inner thigh lift, lipo on my flanks and a mons lipo/possible lift as part of the TT...

I consulted with four different drs in the area and he was by far the best, mentioning that most weight loss patients mons needed attention and to be lipoed or lifted - which for me was something i hadn't heard before and i loved that he included it in the package and did such a good job looking and assessing my photos!  He also listened to me about the WLS struggle and how I want to change my body...to something I have never had before, a flat stomach with no rolls hanging off every which way.  He also gave me an opinion on two of the three other surgeons I was considering, which helped confirmed some thoughts I had on them as well (one he really likes and would recommend, the other he thinks is only okay and would recommend her more for injectables, not surgery).

It's weird to think that I will not meet him until the day before - for the official, final and ONLY! in person consultation.  There isn't really another option - I will have another phone consult with him about 4 weeks before...or I would like too.

It's hard to make a decision about a dr - especially based on phone consults - but I'm feeling confident that I have made a good decision...now I have to wait 8 weeks for the surgery!!  That might be the worst part...

Thanks for reading...think I just needed to get that out!  Any tips on how you decided on your surgeon - I would love to hear...I havent given my deposit yet;-)!

Currently 180 - 76 lbs lost! Surgery 11/7/12, 36 years old, 5'8". I live in Hong Kong and it's a bit different here!

Ihearttennis
on 10/21/14 10:26 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I had four different consults before making my choice.  Several doctor's I asked all referred the same surgeon but he charged $150 for his consult so I went to him last. The last doctor is the one I am going with and knew he was the one after our meeting.  He is also a bit more expensive but is willing to do the LBL/BA/Arms done at the same time.  I want to get as much as I can safely at one time to avoid having two or three recoveries etc.

I am going to meet with him again at our pre-op appointment so I will have only met him twice.  (One time more than you and I live ten minutes from his office!)  One thing I did do was request that one of his patients who had the same surgeries give me a call.  I spoke with her at length and will meet her for dinner too.  She was very honest about her experience and absolutely loves her results.  It was important to me to speak to someone who has been through it first-hand and could share about the follow up care.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

emelar
on 10/22/14 2:10 am - TX

Honestly, you don't spend too much time with the surgeon in the ordinary course of events.  You consult, decide what you want done, then you see them at pre-op for the mark-up.  Even after surgery, I see him on a regular schedule, but the nurses and PAs do most of the routine work - removing drains and checking for minor issues.  I only saw the doc the day after surgery before I was discharged, and then either 2 or 3 weeks later.  Obviously, you see them sooner and more if you have any complications, but your hope is that you're totally routine and don't need any extra help.

Sounds like you have a plan!  Best of luck.

Most Active