What kind of bra for breast lift

Megan M.
on 10/17/14 10:44 pm - Canada

I am having the girls moved north on Tuesday morning, and will also have the "side boobs" removed.  This will result in longer cuts on my sides which would fall under the sides of my bra.  All I was told was to bring a non-underwire bra with me.  I guess they put it on me after surgery.  I was a little overwhelmed and couldn't think of any questions to ask.  But now I wonder if it should just me one of my own bras (as Dr. Indicated) or if I should be using a sports bra, or a front closure bra, or something special. I didn't think to ask about size, but I guess with all the dressings, what I wear now would probably fit the bill.  Do you have any recommendations?

very much looking forward to having things put back together further up my chest!  I have watched reductions and lifts on YouTube and am happy with the less invasive lift.  ButI am most excited to have all that side skin removed - it hangs like an boob of its own on both sides and spills over my bra everywhere.

i was originally denied this surgery by OHIP, but I wrote an appeal explaining all the issues I had and they approved - very greatful for that.  I guess my actual breast isn't so big, but when you pull in all the extra tissue and skin, it fills a DDD cup.  At 5'2", it's like having a tire wrapped around your chest.

Anyway, rambling now, sorry!  So original question - what about the bra?  Thanks for the help.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

cutekatie
on 10/17/14 11:35 pm
RNY on 05/16/12

I haven't had a breast lift but in terms of moving around after surgery a front closure bra was a lot easier for me then one that closes in back.

So glad you are having the surgery and it is covered.

I hope others respond to help you out. I also found other sites (realself) to be more helpful and informative regarding plastic surgery.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Laura in Texas
on 10/18/14 8:52 am

I wore a sports bra that closed in the front after my breast lift. I got it at Academy. I used unscented maxi pads to cushion my incisions from the bra. They worked well and are much cheaper than gauze.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Megan M.
on 10/19/14 12:08 am - Canada

That's a very creative idea, will have to remember that.  I went looking for bras and didn't have much luck at my usual stores - no front closures.  Will go to Sears today to see about a sports bra.  Worst case, I will take an assortment of what I already have..I have a front closure that I never wear, a back closure that might work but am thinking that a sort and stretchy sports bra would be best, if I can find a front closure.  Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Donna E.
on 10/19/14 10:29 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 08/16/12

I found a front closure sports bra at Walmart in Richmond Hill Ontario.   Good luck.

emelar
on 10/20/14 2:36 am - TX

My doc uses the Marena compression garment, but honestly, a tight-fitting front-close sports bra would do the trick just as well.  I changed dressings on the under-breast incisions for the first week, and the telfa pads were sufficient protection from the garment.  Now I'm wearing silicone strips, which are also sufficient protection.  But Laura's idea with sanitary napkins is right-on.  They can be very handy if you have any areas that need a little extra protection or are oozing a bit.

Get some 24 hour Claritin.  The itching is making me crazier than any soreness.

Megan M.
on 10/20/14 7:00 am - Canada

Found a stretchy, soft front closure that should do a good job holding things close.  Picking up sanitary pads tonight, got pain meds and antibiotics, so I guess I'm all set.  Alarm will go off at 5:15, hospital at 6:30, first surgery of the day at 7:45, hopefully home by noon.  Talk later.

Megan M.
on 10/21/14 7:18 am - Canada

Home now, everything went well.  Spent about 3 hours in recovery - had a little breathing concern brought about by the pain meds, but am fine now, no issues.  I think the side incisions are kinda long, but won't know for about a week.  Sleepy now.  Will keep in touch.

Dejah H.
on 10/21/14 8:05 am - Central, TX

Glad it went well! Rest up, and keep us posted on your recovery! :)

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

Megan M.
on 10/23/14 7:49 am - Canada

So tired today, and feeling very sorry for myself.  Need a good cry, I thnk.  Feel like a wimp.

Most Active