Arm Lift Question

trishy
on 9/29/14 2:45 am

So I scheduled my arm reduction this morning with Dr Jonathan Fisher in Miami.  Has anyone heard of him?  Most of the reviews I read were that he is great.  the incision itself is what drew me to him.  Since I have a life long terrible scar that resulted from my Fleur De Lis tummy tuck, (I have dark skin so I scar easily) I didnt want huge arm scars.  I was told they will do a small scar in my arm pit (lateral) instead of the large scar protruding down the arm.. Has anyone else had this type of arm reduction?  What can you tell me about it?  I am excited!! 

Revision Band to Sleeve scheduled 10/29

Laura in Texas
on 9/29/14 5:31 am

It does not give nearly the great results of the traditional long-scar technique, especially for those of us who have lost massive amounts of weight. I hope he is being realistic with you as to what to expect.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Laura in Texas
on 9/29/14 5:34 am

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

trishy
on 9/29/14 6:20 am

Absolutely.  I appreciate all feedback.  I have been wanting an arm lift for years and so I feel that even though I might not have the teeny tiny tight arms that I know I could have with extended brachiplasty, I am comfortable with the idea of a scar that I can live with.  I have a really bad scar from my Fluer DeLis tummy tuck that I had 5 years ago and I have even had parts of the scar revised and uncountable steriod injections to flaten it and honestly I would have never gone that extreme with my TT if I knew what it would be like to live with this wretched scar my whole life.  Parts of it have faded but as my dermatologist statedm "I will always have this scar" I dont have any scars on my breasts thank goodness.. So as you can see... I just cant handle the idea of more extended scars on my body, yet I live in Florida and I need to be able to wear short sleeves or something. :-) I greatly appreciate your imput.  I will view the link you sent. :-)

Ihearttennis
on 9/30/14 11:34 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I have seen four plastic surgeons for consults and three of the four said they wouldn't recommend the lateral incision because I have a lot of extra skin and they didn't think I would be happy with the results.  the one doctor who did recommend it made it sound great though.  I realize that isn't much help. sorry

All four of the surgeons I went to recommended I get the anchor cut because I have quite a bit of excess skin in my upper abdomen without a lot of elasticity.  Seeing your post makes me nervous though.  I don't want awful scars either.  Any advice for me?

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

trishy
on 10/1/14 2:49 am

Hi Ihearttennis,

You should definitely take to heart the thought of having an everlasting scar from your breastbone to mons area.  For me, I was so excited to have that hour glass look and not the straight waisted look of a person with a regular extended TT normally has that I ignored the fact that I scar terribly and it also wasnt recommended by my surgeon to have it done (anchor cut wasn't needed).  With that being said, please keep in mind that I really do have a nice tight tummy and rock hard abs now.  And I even had a revisional lap WLS done last year.  It did not affect the results of my TT at all (Thank goodness).  I believe this is in result of my anchor cut pulling things in extra tight, and my maintaining of about 20 pounds or so of my weight in the past 5 years when I had the TT.  Also, please know that I know many fair skinned people like yourself that do not scar and have had the anchor cut and had great results.  Just try to imagine yourself in a bikini and how you would feel (because you will definitely want to be showing off that new tight tummy).  But if you have a scar how would you feel about showing it off??? The surgeon that did my TT told me that my arm lift scars (if I did the full arm lift) would be minimal because of the placement of the scar, the tissue does not tend to scar as badly. And I have to say that I have NO breast scars, the surgeon said that is normal for breasts... I honestly just dont want to roll the dice where my arms are concerned.  I have to live with my tummy scar.  I do not want to look like a "sewn together" person with tremendous arm scars.  It would defeat the entire purpose of the surgery for me personally.  Everyone is different.  I'm glad you posted and I am glad I could share my thoughts with you.   p.s. As a result of your post, I am scheduling a couple of other consults with doctors that do mini lifts to see thier thoughts on my flabby arms as well. :-)

Crazeru
on 10/1/14 8:23 am

We have a few Sauceda ladies who rock their anchor cut in their bikinis.  I have the long arm scars, but they don't bother me as much as the hanging skin did.  I now have one across my back from my upper body lift, but I was wearing a low back one piece instead of my bikini which hides the UBL scar, and one person asked about it.  I just said it was part of the completion of my weight loss by dealing with all the loose skin.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

trishy
on 10/1/14 9:42 am

Oh I rock mine too. I'm not downing the result by any means. Just the scar. Just today the clerk at 7/11 asked me how I have such a flat tummy. Kind of random and took me by surprise but it's because of the anchor cut. Still....the scar is there and for some such as myself it doesn't fade and for a longtime it was painful too from scar tissue. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/14 4:41 am

The brachialplasty that I do in the armpit only does remove some excess skin. I usually combine it with liposuction of the remaining arm. However, the skin is not removed where the excess skin is usually, along the length of the upper arm(and sometimes lower). That does require the longer more extensive incision. So, if you pull your skin up into the armpit and that helps, then I recommend going with that.

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307

Newport Beach, California 92660

949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca)

Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California

(Irvine)

Orange County's Physician of Excellence/America's Top Physicians/Top Doctors

Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012/2013

President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com Scar Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

trishy
on 10/3/14 5:04 am

Thank you Dr. Domanskis, It greatly helps me understand better.  Since my original post, I have read a ton of information about it and was assured by the surgeon that I would see a good result, but your explanation helps me understand a lot better. Thanks again!

Most Active