American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons?

Mary131
on 9/4/14 1:18 pm

I'm wondering at the need for this society in addition to a surgeon who is a board certified member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and who specializes in post weight loss body contouring. I noticed that some of the most respected post weight loss body contouring surgeons in the US are not members of this organization (Lomonaco, Katzen, Aly, Krieger, etc.).

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/14 7:56 am

The American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons has been established by plastic surgeons that specialize in body contouring surgery specifically for patients that have lost significant amounts of weight through non-surgical means such as diet or exercise or through the various bariatric procedures such as gastric bypass and lap band surgery. ASBPS's goal is to help you find a knowledgeable and experienced plastic surgeon. Its members are all certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons and most are members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons as well as the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery or the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons

Our membership is still limited but growing. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons envelops the whole field of plastic surgery whereas the American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons deals with specific issues after weight loss. One does not have to be a member of ASBPS and there are many qualified plastic surgeons who do post bariatric face and body contouring who may not want to participate and it is voluntary to do so.

Another reason may be that we, members and Society are committed to making this type of surgery covered by insurance carriers as well as establishing Centers and plastic surgeons of excellence in this field. Any organization that helps inform you as well as lobbies for you is a help and most will agree deserves the support of the people it benefits! 

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery 1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307 Newport Beach, California 92660 949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca) Website: http://www.surgery-plastic.com Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine) Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012/2013 President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org

Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com

Scar Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

AZDee
on 9/16/14 11:18 am - Gilbert, AZ
On September 4, 2014 at 8:18 PM Pacific Time, Mary131 wrote:

I'm wondering at the need for this society in addition to a surgeon who is a board certified member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and who specializes in post weight loss body contouring. I noticed that some of the most respected post weight loss body contouring surgeons in the US are not members of this organization (Lomonaco, Katzen, Aly, Krieger, etc.).

Exactly....

Most Active