Surgery Planned with Dr. Sauceda

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/14 3:28 am

Unfortunately, you are misquoting me. Please re-read what I have said. I am not, like you are, disparaging anyone or any place. I am just cautioning patients to think before they act to try and save a little money. Sub-optimal results can occur with anyone and anywhere and a lot depends not only on the surgeon and facility but also on the patient. I have the privilege of consulting and operating in many parts of the US and overseas and I see personally, the different standards, facilities, techniques and results. They vary widely and the US still has the most rigorous accreditation standards for hospitals and facilities. Also, all plastic or cosmetic surgery boards either here in US and overseas are not the same!

If a plastic surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the only board that is recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties, then you can be assured that he or she has successfully completed a general surgery residency of 3-5 years followed by a plastic surgery residency of 2-3 years in accredited hospitals(a little over 100 of these programs exist in US). During these training years supervised by peers during which they are not operating independently but under strict supervision but actually doing the surgery also( not just observing in overseas programs), they then are required to take a written examination with a significant failure rate and then sometime later if they pass, then have to present a number of their own cases on various aspects of plastic surgery and have these examined and submit to oral examination. A significant amount of surgeons also fail this. After this vigorous regimen, the plastic surgeon becomes certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery(under 10,000 plastic surgeons are so certified). 

This training and certification is very different in almost every country outside the US. Medical Doctors overseas and here in US self-designate themselves as plastic surgeons and this in legal and it is up to the patient to determine whether the physician or facility, hospital is qualified.

One can get an excellent or poor result in the US and overseas but, as again I said, the chances are greater to get a better outcome in the US with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Especially when ones health and safety is at risk, it should be justify spending 10 or 20% more.

I hope that in the near future, insurance companies here in the US will look upon face and body contouring after massive weight loss as a covered expense and I, as President of the American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons am lobbying hard to accomplish this!

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery 1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307 Newport Beach, California 92660 949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca) Website: http://www.surgery-plastic.com Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine) Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012/2013 President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org

Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com

Scar Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

Crazeru
on 9/4/14 9:29 am
lifeaftergastricbypas
on 8/28/14 12:37 am

Thank you Dr. Domanskis. I have thought this as well which is why I am so reluctant. My life is precious to me and knowing the level of care given in the US puts me at ease versus the unknown in another country. Add that to the fact that I do not know the language and my uncertainty rises. With that said, I have been reading the comments and see that there are lots of good things to say about Dr. Sauceda. And I will also confess that the $$ is a driving factor. I do not have the means to pay for all of the surgeries in the US  that I want at once but could probably get one or two done and the other later.  Would you be willing to expand on what you mean by " I am not implying that any doctors not trained in the US and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery is not competent but you probably have your best chance of obtaining the results you want with plastic surgeons here in US."  I do want surgery but I also am not after a quick fix. I would rather take it slow if that meant I would get the best results here in the states.

Thank you again.

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/14 3:41 am

Thanks. Let me expand on what I wrote.

Sub-optimal results can occur with anyone and anywhere and a lot depends not only on the surgeon and facility but also on the patient. I have the privilege of consulting and operating in many parts of the US and overseas and I see personally, the different standards, facilities, techniques and results. They vary widely and the US still has the most rigorous accreditation standards for hospitals and facilities. Also, all plastic or cosmetic surgery boards either here in US and overseas are not the same!

If a plastic surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the only board that is recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties, then you can be assured that he or she has successfully completed a general surgery residency of 3-5 years followed by a plastic surgery residency of 2-3 years in accredited hospitals(a little over 100 of these programs exist in US). During these training years supervised by peers during which they are not operating independently but under strict supervision but actually doing the surgery also( not just observing in overseas programs), they then are required to take a written examination with a significant failure rate and then sometime later if they pass, then have to present a number of their own cases on various aspects of plastic surgery and have these examined and submit to oral examination. A significant amount of surgeons also fail this. After this vigorous regimen, the plastic surgeon becomes certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery(under 10,000 plastic surgeons are so certified). 

This training and certification is very different in almost every country outside the US. Medical Doctors overseas and here in US self-designate themselves as plastic surgeons and this in legal and it is up to the patient to determine whether the physician or facility, hospital is qualified.

One can get an excellent or poor result in the US and overseas but, as again I said, the chances are greater to get a better outcome in the US with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Especially when ones health and safety is at risk, it should be justify spending 10 or 20% more. Finally, patients need to be aware that there is an unfortunate practice that exists of patient referring or recommending a doctor and then receiving something in return.

I hope that in the near future, insurance companies here in the US will look upon face and body contouring after massive weight loss as a covered expense and I, as President of the American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons am lobbying hard to accomplish this!

I am not, like you are, disparaging anyone or any place. I am just cautioning patients to think before they act to try and save a little money. Sub-optimal results can occur with anyone and anywhere and a lot depends not only on the surgeon and facility but also on the patient. I have the privilege of consulting and operating in many parts of the US and overseas and I see personally, the different standards, facilities, techniques and results. They vary widely and the US still has the most rigorous accreditation standards for hospitals and facilities. Also, all plastic or cosmetic surgery boards either here in US and overseas are not the same!

One can get an excellent or poor result in the US and overseas but, as again I said, the chances are greater to get a better outcome in the US with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Especially when ones health and safety is at risk, it should be justify spending 10 or 20% more.

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery 1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307 Newport Beach, California 92660 949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca) Website: http://www.surgery-plastic.com Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine) Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012/2013 President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org

Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com

Scar Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

PsAMom
on 8/28/14 6:41 am

Hi, Dr Domanskis, could you please point out to me the place where "lifeaftergasticbypass" disparages anyone or any place? (quote from your reply: "I am not, like you are, disparaging anyone or any place.") I have read the OP's comments several times and fail to note disparaging comments by him/her. 

Also, I also believe that your comment "There are many instances where there were problems and the results were less than perfect with no recourse for the patient" could apply as readily to surgeries performed in the US and may be specious with regards to influencing patients to disregard overseas surgeons.

hollykim
on 9/4/14 5:19 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 28, 2014 at 1:41 PM Pacific Time, PsAMom wrote:

Hi, Dr Domanskis, could you please point out to me the place where "lifeaftergasticbypass" disparages anyone or any place? (quote from your reply: "I am not, like you are, disparaging anyone or any place.") I have read the OP's comments several times and fail to note disparaging comments by him/her. 

Also, I also believe that your comment "There are many instances where there were problems and the results were less than perfect with no recourse for the patient" could apply as readily to surgeries performed in the US and may be specious with regards to influencing patients to disregard overseas surgeons.

he is talking about me. He said that ppl would get suboptimal results from surgeons outside the us. That IS what he said. I called him on it and said I looked at his site and was not impressed but the bariatric after pics posted there. I told him I was actually appalled. 

I did not disparage him at all. Just said I thought the pics were awfu. It just so happens to be his work,but it is not my fault the pics look awful. Pics don't lie.  He did,though,disparage Dr. Sauceda and every other surgeon in the world that don't practice in the US. Pretty self centered,ignorant,and self serving if you ask me. Not to mention a lie. 

pineview01
on 9/10/14 1:37 pm, edited 9/11/14 12:45 pm - Davison, MI

I had two surgeries by one of these surgeons.  I wish I had gone to Mexico and Dr S. but was afraid. The surgeon told/showed me in advanced what to expect with the neck lift if I would add a face life.  I still have the waddle which is all I wanted gone.  I had a complication with the medial thigh lift and the whole incision filled with blood.  He didn't want to do surgery to stop the bleeding and remove the blood.  He left it to stop on it's own.  Took for ever to heal and hurts in some spots and doesn't look nice like the other leg.  I am left with the dimpling and bad scare that other PS here warned me would happen if he did open it up and clean it out.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Crazeru
on 9/11/14 6:51 am

I'm so sorry that you didn't have a great experience and outcome from your PS.  It can happen.  Dr Sauceda does tell you that you won't get perfection, but as good as he can make it.   Which for most of us, gives us a new body. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Crazeru
on 8/26/14 11:27 am

The 300+ of us that have gone down to Dr Sauceda can't all be wrong about the service, care and results that we have received. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

hollykim
on 8/26/14 12:31 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I had a great experience with him in January of this year for a huge amount of surgery. You can find my surgery accounts in January 04 posts on his OH page.

Most Active