LBL Done!

Jennifer R.
on 7/27/14 11:23 pm - New York, NY

Hi everyone,

I am post-op day #4 from a lower body lift and feel pretty fantastic. I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect after surgery. This was the first procedure that I was actually scared of having. Between the psychological impact of having a circumferential incision and the memory of my arm lift recovery (which went fine but took longer than I anticipated), I was kind of panicking about what I had signed up for.

I’m happy to report all my worrying was for nothing. I’m down to extra-strength Tylenol for the pain, which is actually more of a soreness than pain. My incision is beautiful. I know it’s early in my recovery, but barring any major issues with the suture line, I think it won’t even be noticeable by this time next year. And the best part – I have a waist! I have edema like nobody’s business, but I can still see how awesome it looks through all the puffiness. My “inner tube” is gone and all my rolls have been “ironed out.”

One question for those of you who have gone through this: When will I be able to stand up straight? Or somewhat straight? Or just not walk around like a gorilla?? It’s driving me crazy. I’ve heard people say they were hunched over but I guess I was busy thinking of all the other things I was scared of, because I kind of didn’t understand. I know that on post-op day 4 I shouldn’t really be concerned. I’m sure it improves in time. But how long before you didn’t feel like the neighbors were pointing and staring when you walked to the mailbox? My biggest problem is that I start school again Sept 2 in NYC. I live ½ mile from school and public transportation is more complicated and time-consuming than just walking there. I was hoping I would be find to walk that far by then but now I’m worried I will have too much back pain from not being able to walk upright.

Thanks for any insights anyone can offer!

~Jen~

chris53212
on 7/28/14 12:11 am

Hey there!  I had LBL 6 weeks ago and arm lift plus breast 3 weeks ago.  For me the LBL was much easier than the arm and breast.  I did not have the problems of being hunch over at all so I can't answer that question.  I do think that 1/2 mile at 4 weeks out is do able.  I was walking that and more at 2 weeks out.  Happy recovery.

Happy Gurl
on 7/29/14 9:24 am
VSG on 10/26/12

Hi - Congrats on your progress and making it through the surgery with no issues!!!  it was about three to four weeks before I was standing upright, and back to work.  I love your little Westie:)

HW: 390, HbandW: 340, LbandW:237,

HsleeveW: on 10/27/12:270, CW: 167:) GW: 175 :))))

M1:22, M2:16, M3:10, M4:9, M5:8, M6: 9, M7: 8, M8: 6, M9: 3, M10: 4

Jennifer R.
on 7/31/14 4:34 am - New York, NY

Thanks for answering my question. It makes me feel better to know eventually I will be "normal" again. It's Day 7 and I'm already standing almost all the way upright and have increased my speed from "turtle on Ambien" to "snail who's late for work." I had two of my four drains taken out yesterday, which made me feel so much better. I think it also helps to finally have that first post-op appointment and have my doc reassure me that I'm progressing normally.

Now my only problem is keeping my darn binder down where I want it. He said I could switch to a compression garment with legs once my other drains are removed, but in the meantime it's driving me nuts! I can't get it to stay over my incision no matter how many times I pull it down. Any tips for keeping it where it needs to be?

~Jen~

AZDee
on 7/31/14 2:49 pm - Gilbert, AZ

It took me a couple of weeks to stand straight up.  A week or so after surgery I was walking at my Church and thinking to my self no one even can tell I just had major surgery...then a man came running over to me and asked if he could help me in any way, that I was walking as if I was in pain....so much for me thinking I was walking just fine....I thought it was pretty funny at the time.   

Most Active