Post plastics - avoiding weight gain?

Stacy_WLS
on 7/18/14 11:16 pm

I am having the works done in early November - lbl, bl/ ba, small thigh lift and maybe a small arm lift.  I am training for a marathon in October and typically work out 1 -2 hours per day.  I am worried that going from so much activity to nothing will cause weight gain. 

Did anyone else experience this?  How did you avoid it?

thanks!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Laura in Texas
on 7/19/14 6:21 am

For the first 3 months post-op. I was consuming close to 3000 calories a day without exercise and still lost a few pounds. My metabolism was in overdrive while I was healing. Then around 3 months, I had gained a few and the party was over.

I think you will be fine. I would just try to relax and heal and start back with the exercise as soon as your doctor gives you the thumbs up. Personally, I did not pu**** because I was self-pay and was not going to screw up my results.

Long-term, there have been studies that say after massive weight loss, those who have had plastic surgery do better with maintaining their weight loss.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MyBariatricLife
on 7/19/14 11:16 pm

Agree, I recently read a study that showed weight loss was better maintained in patients who had WLS and PA vs WLS alone. I believe this is one of the criteria that one of the plastic surgery societies are using to advocate that PS should be covered by health insurance.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

LoriSanders
on 7/19/14 12:30 pm - Victoria, Canada

Hi Stacy, I haven't undergone a thigh lift surgery. But I will be having it soon. I already had a consultation with Dr. Robert Backstein at Toronto ( cosmeticsurgeryclinic.com ) So I asked him all about this surgery and how to maintain the results. You can expect long lasting results from thigh lift surgery.

What he said is that you should not resume more exercise for at least 2 months after your operation. The recovery depends on your general health. And if you want to clarify your particular situation, seek advice from your surgeon. May be he can suggest you something good. Don't be late to ask this.

MyBariatricLife
on 7/19/14 11:20 pm

I had a long incision thigh lift along with an extended arm lift and breast lift and converted my TT to an LBL in the same surgery and I went back to the gym after 4 weeks.  Just an FYI... Two months sounds like an very long time to wait.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

chris53212
on 7/19/14 3:43 pm

I am 5 weeks out from LBL and 10 days out from breast lift, implants and arm lift.  Eating 1500 calories a day............5 lbs up from start weight but I am swelling like I am 12 months pregnant...........................  

MyBariatricLife
on 7/19/14 11:18 pm

I did not have much of an appetite after my plastic surgery and had to do many protein drinks to get my calories and protein in. I lost weight even so. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Jennifer K.
on 7/19/14 11:30 pm - Phoenix , AZ

You just need to adjust your eating for your activity level and stick to eating high protein and healthy... not only for the weight but eating healthy post WLS will help your healing and keep the swelling down. I would guess you are looking at 6-8 weeks of no working out and when you do start back it will be slow. I had a BA/BL, arm lift last week and my surgeon said not to raise my heart rate for 6 weeks. In 11/2011 I had an extended TT... the tightness in my stomach really limited what I could do for months after.. I love yoga and it took me 6-8 months before I left comfortable doing certain poses etc. 

Currently I am eating a lot of protein, fiber and foods that are anti-inflammatory and veggies. 

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Lyss Remaly
on 7/21/14 6:19 am - Wheeling, IL

I just had extensive Lipo of my thighs/back with fat grafting to my breasts and arm lift on July 3rd.  I am/ have been training for a bodybuilding competition and was also nervous to go from 2 hours of lifting everyday to sitting and stewing around the house.  The day of surgery I made sure to get up and walk around and have since walked multiple times a day to keep my body moving.  I have been pretty lax with my diet interms of not weighing / portioning everything out and just eating when I am hungry, a few treats here and there and just focusing on resting and everyone is commenting that I look smaller.  I'm terrified to get on the scale because I'm swollen like crazy and my feet look like two baked hams but I think if you focus on moving your body, resting your body and fueling your body you will be just fine!!

Good luck!

Zee Starrlite
on 8/12/14 5:17 am

Hi Lyss!  Sorry you are still feeling some pain but glad your surgery is done.  You looked great before so I am sure you can only look better!!!

I never log on because well I don't remember my log in info.  I've been meaning to ask you how you compete in bodybuilding competitions after having had WLS and extensive plastic surgery.  Is there a special category for people who have undergone surgeries?  I thought our WLS would disqualify us alone and add on plastics wouldn't it be deemed unfair to the others who have done it all naturally in competitions?  

All best to you.  You are truly an inspiration.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active