The High Emotional Cost of Plastic Surgery that No One Tells You About

hollykim
on 6/25/14 2:12 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I a so. Sorry your experience has been less that it could have been.

i. Had LBL,arms,breast reduction and lift,and thighs lifted,eyelid surgery and face lift with Dr. Sauceda in MX in January.

my entire experience,from the time I stepped on. The plane to MX to the present day,has been simply awesome. I was treated wonderfully by everyone I came in contact with, including the urgent care staff and physician I saw when one of my legs developed cellulitis at about a month out. 

Hoping you are able to resolve some of the issues that plague you.

gL

MyBariatricLife
on 6/25/14 7:43 am

Wow, that is a huge surgery! I am glad that you found a doctor in the US to take care of your complication. I have been told that is hard to find and I have often suggested to patients that if they find themselves in that predicament that they not say the surgeon was outside the US, just in a different state.

Anyway, with regard to my experience, there have been many times that my husband got me through the bad times and many times that my surgeon helped me through rough patches. That neither was there for me 100% of the time does not make them bad people. It just makes them human. We all are imperfect and I must be honest and say that there are things that I have said or done to my husband and to my surgeon, and even to the PA, that I wish I could take back. Bt as I wrote in my original post, there are no do overs. 

As for the other two people I mentioned, f*ck them. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

hollykim
on 6/25/14 11:06 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

it was a huge surgery...12 hrs under twilight and epidural anesthesia,but all the recovery was done and over with one time also. 

That is exactly what I told the dr,my surgeon was out of the area and it was a Sunday to boot,or I would have gone to. My PCP who was also on board to help with. Any complications. 

MyBariatricLife
on 6/25/14 11:48 am

My facial plastics were under twilight. It took 3-4 hours. I woke up once or twice during it. For that reason, I am not sure I could do twilight sedation again. But I do love her work!!! So if I need a revision I will be going under... and hopefully will stay under until the surgery is complete.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

godzilla
on 6/25/14 7:22 am - Israel
I'm trying to find the words to convey and express myself to you the way you deserve to be: with value love respect.
You worked hard to achieve your weight-loss and healthy eating living style that for for you. You worked hard in earning your money to pay for everything.
If I had money I would pay for further plastics but as I get Disability I can allow myself what I can get from my HMO.
Our bodies are likened to a temple; and if we compare our bodies to a temple or rather our own personal temple-our homes. Often when given the chance to renovate one'a home, one starts with a budget or opens a savings account starting with the kitchen or bathroom or painting the home; each to what seems either more economical or necessary. No matter what I see with my friends renovating their homes, a sense of not always feeling satisfied and of wanting to do more. Similarly with our bodies.
Just like the scars we have now allowed ourselves in having done to us in plastics are skin deep so are our emotions;and even talking with a therapist cannot always cause these feelings of having been betrayed by people of medical professionalism.
Writing is sometimes cathartic but jot always enough.
I don't have answers; only my empathy and friendship across the ocean.
Mikimi in Israel
MyBariatricLife
on 6/25/14 7:57 am

Thank you, Mikimi. The writing is cathartic for me. There are a number of women on this forum whom have been with me through this arduous journey and have truly helped me to get through the fire. Some have written me privately with more shows of support, and some have posted here. These trials and tribulations are all part of my journey. I wish things were different but I cannot control what happens to me, only how I respond to it. Generally I am very upbeat - even delighted - with this amazing journey I have been on. But I also have been in dire straits. And during those really difficult times I am glad to have had this community to turn to for support and compassion and encouragement.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 6/25/14 8:37 pm, edited 6/25/14 10:58 pm

Allow me to explain something about Social Media: We all have vulnerabilities, histories, ups, downs - and today's media provide ways for us to at once share these vulnerabilities and to expose the world to how we think and feel at a particular moment in time.

When I post, I am ultimately making a statement about myself. If,on occasion, I post something here that's bound-up with complex emotions that may never ever resolve, that is my choice, even if I may later regret being so authentic and transparent about my feelings.

So, I just listened to a voicemail from my husband after he read my post on HealthCentral on this topic of my emotional trauma from body contouring. My blog post was a cleaned up version of what I wrote here on ObesityHelp. I had included in that post that my husband had been there for me through most of the hard times and that it was not fair to him to have to go through my **** storm. I think that was a pretty fair assessment of what happened. Here is the post http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/170046/emotional-plastic-surgery?ap=831

His voicemail? He warned me that now that I had got that out of my system that if I did not leave it alone he would sue HealthCentral for character assassination. While I know he cannot do that the fact that he threatened it does not at all make me happy.  At this point I do not believe my marriage is going to survive. He has been talking divorce since I returned from my trip a few weeks ago.  

So this is one of the "what else can go wrong" with my plastic surgery that I wrote about in my original post. I often have wondered if the divorce rate goes up after plastic surgery as it does after Bariatric surgery.

I am not one to hold a grudge. My life is too short to be spent nurturing animosity. I have wasted too many precious decades of my life in a negative state of mind. When I forgive someone, I make myself responsible for my own happiness, I create happiness in a place where there was pain. 

That is not to say I let people take advantage of me. Almost always I rip someone's head off if they mess with me, and I rarely get the short end of the stick in a business transaction... but when it comes to people that I care for whom have wronged me, I then have much compassion for that person. I can see easily why my husband feels the way he does and I do not blame him if we end up divorced. I recognize what I have done wrong and I am trying to make things right. But he is harboring resentments. And that means he is still in a place of emotional pain.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active