Learned something new

TracyK
on 6/11/14 11:09 pm - FL

I am 1 month post op from my thigh lift and 6 months from my TT. My doctors all told me to stay away from aspirin and other herbal substances because of the thinning of the blood. Completely understood and followed rules to a T. Then right after my thigh surgery the Surgeon asked if I was taking aspirin because my blood was really thin. I told her no and felt scared because I didn’t take any medications at all and was unsure why my blood would change.

I started to research what I was eating. What I found out shocked me. The weather was getting nice and the fruit department was flooding with strawberries and clementines. So they were my go to snack almost to a craving type need; I absolutely love strawberries!

Come to find out strawberries, among other fruits, are a natural blood thinner. If I would have known this I would have steered clear of them. Luckily the surgery went ok but I would have made sure not to put myself in that position. Has anyone ever been informed by a doctor in addition to medications what other foods could cause issues?

Thank you,

Tracy

Lap-Band/Dec 2004 - Starting weight: 230
Band Removal June 2015 (Sadly) - Weight 215
Revision Apr 2017 - Weight 240, CW 194, GW - 145

pineview01
on 6/12/14 2:24 pm - Davison, MI

I know any food containing Omega-3 are blood thinning, avocado, fish and such.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

CaliforniaJane
on 6/30/14 10:26 am

Wow, thanks for sharing. I'm scheduled for thigh lift surgery in 3 days. I didn't know about strawberries possibly acting as blood thinner. So to be on the safe side, I will abstain from my most favorite fruit :(

Most Active