Compression binder vs. garment? Do you need one vs. the other or both?

pinkpeonies
on 6/7/14 3:55 am
VSG on 04/23/12

Hi everyone,

I'm 1.5 weeks (thought it was 2.5 weeks but it's only been 1.5--whoops! lol) post extended abdominoplasty with hernia and diastasis recti repair. Doing pretty well (doc was very pleased with how things looked at 1 week out; I see him again on Monday). I've seen a lot of posts on here about compression garments and thought at first that was a broad term for compression "anything." But after researching more, I realize there is a difference. I've been wearing a binder but am wondering if I should get a "garment" for when I return to work (2nd week in July). A friend recommended a girdle of sorts she bought at KMart after her tummy tuck, but the only things I saw there have no "legs." Some of my swelling has gone down into the mons and upper thigh area, so I'm thinking something that compresses those areas a bit might help.

Any vets here have any thoughts/opinions about these things? Worth it, or waste of $$?

Thanks!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

5/27/14 - Extended abdominoplasty with hernia and diastasis recti repair

12/20/14 - Breast reduction/mastopexy with bra line back lift

emelar
on 6/7/14 4:25 am - TX

Seems to be surgeon preference. Mine uses the mire a brand compression garment, stage 2. He puts you in it while still on the table and you stay in it for six weeks, with short breaks. It's crotchless, making things really easy in the bathroom. I had a love/hate relationship with it. It made me feel very secure and helped keep the swelling down. But it could be pretty uncomfortable when the swelling peaked. However, I continued to wear it on and off even after I had to, and, yes, I think it was worth it. 

AZDee
on 6/7/14 6:42 am - Gilbert, AZ

I am finally into my new stage 2 garment and finally I am loving life.  I swear the first stage garment must have been what our mothers wore back in the day to have those tiny waists...I was dying in it, as it had to give whatsoever.  But it's been several days now and I am so happy as the stage 2 still gives you the nice tight feeling but is so much softer...3 weeks out from a Lower body lift and a medial thigh lift... 

Terry H.
on 6/8/14 11:58 pm

I'm six weeks out from my LBL.  I started with two garments.  First, a body suit from lower thigh up (open crotch, zippered side) and second a three part binder.  Both were on me after surgery and I have worn them for the full six weeks.  At my six week follow up last Thursday, the doctor said that I needed to continue with the binder for now and that I needed to wear support for the lower body.  I've gone to under armor for the lower body and of course the binder is for the mid section.  He explained to me that the two garments have very different functions.  At least in my case, there are two main internal "wounds".  The binder addresses the wound in front (tissue removal, muscle tightening) and is intended to keep fluids from accumulating in the abdominal cavity.  The body suit (and now the under armor) is for the sides of the thighs and the buttock augmentation area.  These are the other main cavities in which fluid can accumulate.  Since I was still having some fluid accumulation problems, I'm probably wearing more than some others.  In fact, some doctors don't even put people in compression gear.  While every day is better, I did have quite a problem with fluid accumulation after my drains were removed (at 2 weeks) so as much as I'd like to ditch the gear, I'm following his direction on this.  My new setup is more comfortable than the body suit though.  He suggested that with the heat of summer, I should experiment to work out the best support that kept me cool but kept the support in place.

Hope that helps.  Terry

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

pinkpeonies
on 6/9/14 12:47 am
VSG on 04/23/12

Thanks everyone. I woke this morning to discover my swelling is moving south (as well as moving around a bit up north), so I guess it's time to look into something more extensive than the binder I've been wearing. Now my problem is figuring out what size to get. My waist is currently the same size it was before surgery and throws off everything when I look at size charts (thighs are small, hips are medium, waist is large or XL). I've written to customer service for two online retailers with no response yet (then again, it's fairly early on Monday here). I'm off to my 2-week post-op doc appt. and then may swing by the mall to look at some Spanx-type options. Figuring out sizes might be easier in person...

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

5/27/14 - Extended abdominoplasty with hernia and diastasis recti repair

12/20/14 - Breast reduction/mastopexy with bra line back lift

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/14 9:40 am

A binder is preferable unless it rolls up and does not lay flat. I then place my patients into something more comfortable but I think in another post you had drainage so I would continue with as much compression as you can even a girdle with binder on top.

Most Active