Residents for Plastics?

AmberK
on 5/8/14 6:34 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with

Has anyone gone to any Med school residents for their procedures. 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/14 9:19 am

Residents are usually supervised by faculty member plastic surgeons but the university usually bills insurance for the same amount a plastic surgeon would bill for.

AmberK
on 5/8/14 11:19 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with

Hi Dr.Domanskis, 

Thank you for your reply. If my insurance would not pay anyways, would it hurt if they do bill the insurance? I go for a consultation next week, I am thinking it would be a big difference in price. 

MyBariatricLife
on 5/9/14 3:08 am

There is at least one patient on this board who went to Harvard for her plastics and she looks phenomenal and it cost her far less money than I paid by going to a surgeon in private practice. There are several schools around the country that offer this. You are of course getting a surgeon with less experience, but make sure the attending is there at all times supervising, if not engaging in, the surgery. I think it is a much better option than going to Mexico if you cannot afford surgery. 

This article may help you: http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/162896/capella-interview-surgery-9/

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

AmberK
on 5/13/14 1:57 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with

Thank you for the article! I got a lot of good info. from it. 

I agree with you! I would never go to mexico.   I think that after meeting this resident, I will know what is right and what is not. I will let you all know! 

MyBariatricLife
on 5/13/14 2:07 am

Definitely listen to your intuition, as well as getting satisfactory answers to all those hard questions that were addressed in the article. And be sure the resident shows you what your results will be and that you are both on the same page with desired outcome. Good luck!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/14 1:45 am

Sometimes, but not usually, the state subsidizes the medical school residents to learn on someone. I always caution anyone to think if it is worth a couple of thousand dollars to take a chance on someone who is not totally familiar with the specialized procedures by having a resident do it or even someone overseas.

MyLady Heidi
on 5/14/14 6:59 am

I used Yale (CT) residency program for my plastics and after 11.5k and a tt, arm lift and neck lift in two surgeries in 2006-2008.  I am currently 49 years old and look like this.  It was money well spent.

AmberK
on 5/14/14 8:38 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with

Wow! Stunning! Thank you for sharing! 

Did you have anything done for your breast? I'm looking at an extended tummy tuck and breast lift. The first surgeon I saw quoated me 14,000 for all of it so I am praying that the resident program will be at least half that. 

MyLady Heidi
on 5/14/14 8:26 pm

No breast surgery, I am still naturally a D cup and since I wore a bra 24/7 while MO don't have a lot of sag.  I didn't do my legs either, which could use it.  In 2006 my extended tt with muscle tightening and bb repositioning was 4k,done along with a neck lift for an additional 4k.  In 2008 I had my arms done for 3.5k and my neck revised for free.  At Yale you get the latest surgical techniques by residents who are about to graduate and begin operating alone, but in this case you get the Chief of Sfaff also Dr Persing, who is probably the best plastic/reconstructive surgeon you could find and an extremey kind gentleman who puts you completely at ease.

Most Active