Fleur-De-Lis Circumferential Abdominoplasty Scheduled for May 29th

marianthelibrarian
on 4/27/14 11:41 am

I'm scared and excited about my upcoming surgery!  I've been reading posts in this forum for a while, and I have questions for all of you.

1.  How much help did you need after surgery?  I'm scheduled to stay in the hospital for one night and then go home.  My surgery is on a Thursday, and my husband will be with me over the weekend.  I have a friend who will likely stay with me for a few days, but we're thinking of hiring someone.  Necessary or overkill?

2.  How long were you off from work?  I have a desk job, but I have a public transportation commute that requires quite a bit of walking and stair climbing.  I'm thinking 4 weeks?

3.  How did you manage to keep yourself clean after surgery?  My doctor says no showering until all the drains are out, which may be up to 21 days.  That's a long time without a shower, and, even with monkey baths, I'm not sure how to manage washing my hair.  Tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated!

4. Do you really need a toilet riser and/or walker?  I did buy a lift recliner, but I have a high toilet anyway-- it's only 3 inches shorter than most potty chairs seem to be.  I measured.

5.  What kind of underwear would you recommend?  I've never in my life worn anything other than full briefs ("granny panties") or shapewear because I've always had an apron of fat to contend with.  Should I stick with the full briefs for a while, or will they be in the way of the incision and drains?

6.  While we're talking about clothes, my surgery instructions say to bring a zip up or button up shirt to wear home.  I have only one of these because, if they fit up top, they pull across the belly.  Will I need to stick to this kind of clothing for a while in your experience?

7.  I'm going to have to do Lovenox injections for three weeks after surgery.  (I have a history of blood clots, not surgery related though.)  Has anyone else had to do this?  Any words of wisdom?  I've done these injections before-- I'm not squeamish about poking myself.  I just usually give the shots in my fat belly, which I'm having removed.

Thanks for reading/listening and sharing your experiences!  

Lapband 4/2005:  342HW, 202LW
RNY 7/30/2012: 292HW, 276SW

Mary131
on 4/27/14 1:51 pm

Hi there...hope this helps:

Yes, you will need some help the first couple of days for sure. I think having the weekend with your husband there and a few days with your friend will be enough. By then you'll be comfortable with your drains and getting things done, like restroom, getting up to get things...I needed help the first couple of times with putting on the compression garment, but was good on my own after that. 

I was up and about in two weeks (I was off pain meds in one week), but I was driving a car, not taking public transportation involving stairs, etc. so I think 4 weeks is reasonable. 

At first I gave myself sponge baths and washed my hair using a hand held shower massage. 

Yes, toilet riser was helpful as it helped not to feel as if I was stretching incisions. I only used the walker a couple of days and felt steady enough not to use it after that. What was really necessary was one of those "grabber/reacher" tools. I remember walking to the kitchen to get an apple, bringing it to the living room, then accidentally dropping it and watching it roll under the table next to my lift chair....I only could have reached it with the grabber tool. 

Umm, underwear..didn't wear it while at home. I was drinking a lot...trying for at least 100 oz a day and it seemed I was constantly on/off the toilet...did use Cottonelle wipes and those came in handy. Briefs are fine to wear over the compression garment. 

Re: clothing, I felt it helped to wear a long, soft Gap tank top under my compression garment, for comfort. Then I'd wear a skirt and any type of top. Around the house, I wore a pareo (piece of cloth-like a beach sarong) tied around my waist and the tank top.  

Oh, do buy a lanyard to wear around your neck to clip the drains onto while you are changing dressings/garments. 

I needed a few Lovenox injections as a precaution because I was traveling. I believe I injected them in my thigh.

Good luck!

emelar
on 4/28/14 12:11 am - TX

1.  How much help did you need after surgery?  I stayed in the recovery hotel for 2 nights.  After that, I was at home on my own.  It'll be easier for you having help for the first few days, even if it's just to help you get up and make sure you're safe.  You'll need to get up and walk anyway, so most things you'll be able to do by yourself, just very slowly.

2.  How long were you off from work?  I thought I could telework by week 2 and get back to work by week 4.  Didn't happen.  I teleworked by week 3 for a few hours a day and returned to work at week 5.  And it was hard to make it through a full day.  But your experience may be different.  I think 4 weeks is a good estimate, and then you'll have to evaluate how you're healing and figure out if you're ready to go back or not.

3.  How did you manage to keep yourself clean after surgery?  Sponge baths.  You're not going to have the energy to shower right off anyway.  And I hung my head into a sink to wash my hair, but even that was about a week post-op.  TAke care with the first shower.  You'll be surprised how much it takes out of you.

4. Do you really need a toilet riser and/or walker?  The walker was handy.  You could probably get the same benefit from a chair the right height that you could push along.  Your lower back will really ache when you walk, and it's nice to have something to take the strain off.  I didn't use a riser and didn't feel like I needed it.

5.  What kind of underwear would you recommend?  I was in a crotchless compression garment.  It was handy.  The drain tubes came out at the crotch and I hooked them to the garment band.  And I just didn't bother with unders.

6.  While we're talking about clothes, my surgery instructions say to bring a zip up or button up shirt to wear home.  I have only one of these because, if they fit up top, they pull across the belly.  Will I need to stick to this kind of clothing for a while in your experience?  Use whatever is comfortable.  They are just recommending the clothes that are easiest to get in and out of.  But I was mostly in gowns and big sweatshirts.

7.  I'm going to have to do Lovenox injections for three weeks after surgery.  (I have a history of blood clots, not surgery related though.)  Has anyone else had to do this?  Any words of wisdom?  Didn't have to do this.

It's a big surgery.  Stay ahead of your pain.  Take stool softeners.  Get lots of rest.  Best of luck!

stephintexas
on 4/28/14 1:00 am
On April 27, 2014 at 6:41 PM Pacific Time, marianthelibrarian wrote:

I'm scared and excited about my upcoming surgery!  I've been reading posts in this forum for a while, and I have questions for all of you.

1.  How much help did you need after surgery?  I'm scheduled to stay in the hospital for one night and then go home.  My surgery is on a Thursday, and my husband will be with me over the weekend.  I have a friend who will likely stay with me for a few days, but we're thinking of hiring someone.  Necessary or overkill?

2.  How long were you off from work?  I have a desk job, but I have a public transportation commute that requires quite a bit of walking and stair climbing.  I'm thinking 4 weeks?

3.  How did you manage to keep yourself clean after surgery?  My doctor says no showering until all the drains are out, which may be up to 21 days.  That's a long time without a shower, and, even with monkey baths, I'm not sure how to manage washing my hair.  Tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated!

4. Do you really need a toilet riser and/or walker?  I did buy a lift recliner, but I have a high toilet anyway-- it's only 3 inches shorter than most potty chairs seem to be.  I measured.

5.  What kind of underwear would you recommend?  I've never in my life worn anything other than full briefs ("granny panties") or shapewear because I've always had an apron of fat to contend with.  Should I stick with the full briefs for a while, or will they be in the way of the incision and drains?

6.  While we're talking about clothes, my surgery instructions say to bring a zip up or button up shirt to wear home.  I have only one of these because, if they fit up top, they pull across the belly.  Will I need to stick to this kind of clothing for a while in your experience?

7.  I'm going to have to do Lovenox injections for three weeks after surgery.  (I have a history of blood clots, not surgery related though.)  Has anyone else had to do this?  Any words of wisdom?  I've done these injections before-- I'm not squeamish about poking myself.  I just usually give the shots in my fat belly, which I'm having removed.

Thanks for reading/listening and sharing your experiences!  

I needed WAY more help than I planned. However, I had a lot done at the same time. I'd say better to be overkill and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Today is 2 weeks from surgery. I am not ready yet for full time. I am still working from home. 4 weeks is probably good.

I didn't really the first week. I did shower (with drains) day 3 and 4 but it was hell. Then I came home and didn't shower for a few days. I really really wanted a shower after day 2 home but there wasn't anyone to help me. I also really wanted my hair washed. That is something I would recommend scheduling a home health nurse for. Make sure they do full showers or bed sponge baths. It's TOTALLY worth it. I would have paid 200$ for a shower at one point.

I didn't have a riser or walker. I didn't need the riser. The walker would have been nice.

I don't wear any unless I am leaving the house. I wore the binder then the compression girdle and currently wear boxers over the compression garment but no panties unless I'm going out. (which is never)

Def a button up the front shirt and something very large to wear. You swell.

Most Active