Surgery on 4/14

stephintexas
on 4/26/14 12:10 am

I decided to go ahead with my surgery. I wasn't to goal yet but the PS thought I should stop losing since he wanted fat to harvest. I am certainly glad I took his advice. I can't imagine losing anymore now that I am done with the surgery.

I had a LBL, Extended tummy tuck, lipo from the torso and flanks with fat injected into the buttocks, arm lift and bra line crease repair with extended incision for upper body/bra line lift and implants replaced.

Boy, it was too much at once. I know it CAN be done. It maybe just shouldn't be. For one, I have an incredibly high pain tolerance. However, this one kicked my butt. I woke up in pain, screamed in pain, thought I was going to die the first 2-3 days. Apparently, I was one of the rare patients who have a lot of nerve pain and that was not a good experience. Someone warned me on here (I can't remember who) about potential mobility issues. That was a big issue. I basically laid in a recliner the entire first week. Typically, when I have surgery I take the day of surgery, the next day to rest and am up and about by the 3rd day. This was WAY different. One, I should have hired a nurse. The home health nurse did come by the hotel twice. However, after coming home, I had to drive back 3 hours each way a few days later to see the doctor again. Then I have to drive every week for awhile so he can see me. Outside of the drive, showering was hard. I didn't arrange for enough care/support at home. That was a huge error. I think not having adequate care and support impacted my mental state. Healing really does require a lot of positive thoughts and nurture. Basically, the weekend after I had surgery (5 days later), I was on my own for the most part. I went 3 days without a shower and that was miserable. I wasn't eating, wasn't sleeping well, wasn't showering, I was just trying to manage my pain.

There wasn't a comfortable spot to lay. They say not to sit directly on your buttocks after fat injection, but there wasn't any other way I could lay. I did rotate cheek to cheek after the pain became more manageable. Getting in and out of bed alone was impossible. I ended up sleeping in a recliner for the most part. That wasn't bad but if I could go back in time, I would have rented one that was easier to get in and out of. It would have been well worth the investment. Back to the driving...I clearly wasn't released to drive 8 days after surgery so the first visit to the doctor, I ended up hiring a private driver. It was SO nice but very pricey. An expense I didn't count on but a worthy investment. It was about 700$ for the entire trip and the ride was very comfortable. When I return to the doctor this coming week, I am going the night before and staying in a hotel but am going to try to drive myself.

As for the results, holy wow. My gut is gone. I am still swollen but it's amazing. My legs are smaller, I didn't do inner thighs so now they stand out BUT I'm not planning to do them. It's not bad enough really to warrant another surgery. My flanks are gone, he did rebuild my butt, we will see what the results are as I heal up. My breast fold repair is still just an incision so we will see on that. The upper body lift/bra line lift is ugly but I scar well so I'm waiting on those results too. My arms are tiny, tiny. Again, bruised and ugly but that's just part of the process. I am almost at 2 weeks out and still healing. I have been pretty regular, was only fighting constipation the first week. I have been showering on my own. I can't reach my arms high over my head so I have gotten creative on washing my hair and reaching things. I have been showering on my own for about a week so that is glorious. I sat up on my own last night from a laying position and that was the first time I could do that.

I drove to the store Friday. I had to skip the pain killers in order to do so but by bedtime, I had to take one. It was a little tough. The reach of the steering wheel pulled at my arms but it was nice to be out and active.

I am doing this hunched over, old man shuffle. I can stand fully upright but after sitting or at the end of the day, I find myself hunching over more.  I have an ear plug in my belly button so it will hold its shape. I am not sure how often I am supposed to change it out. I have been changing it every few days but am going to ask Tuesday how often I am supposed to.

I still have this purple stuff all over my incisions that dries like tape. When they took it out of my belly button, it was uncomfortable so I have been wondering when they intend to take it off the LBL incision.

There is no way I am ready for sex any time soon. However, that may be more related to the lack of care I received after surgery more than my physical condition. However, physically, I have no drive. Whether it's the surgery, the aftercare treatment or all of the above, I'm not sure.

I miss the gym but am waiting until the 6 week mark as instructed. After what I spent and the recovery challenges, I am not doing anything to compromise the healing stage. I have been taking my arnica and my vitamins and getting in protein and water.

I can't think of much else as far as details. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/26/14 1:24 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Wow Stephanie! You had a lot done at the same time!! My surgeon said one thing at a time and the LBL was all I could get out of him in one go. Next round is breast lift and inner thighs. Small inner thigh lift. He is into hidden scars only. I would love to see pics of your arms. I initially thought I wouldn't touch my arms but am having second thoughts. Glad its done and over for you but it must be tough to heal up. I think I was the one who may have mentioned mobility issues to you in a previous post. The washing of hair while unable to extend your arms is what came to mind. Sorry to hear about all the pain and lack of care you had post op. I hope you mend well and share lots of pictures!!! 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

stephintexas
on 4/26/14 1:58 am

I almost backed out of arms and bra line lift. I decided at the last minute to do it and am really glad I did. The difference is huge and the pain isn't that bad. It's a bit of a pulling feeling but not too bad.

sweetvania
on 4/26/14 7:29 am - mississauga, Canada

Wow you r very brave I must say congrats to you.  I did my arms and thighs lift February 7 and my tummy tuck is next.  I am still recovering from two seroma that I got on my legs. I wish you a speedy recovery completely.   I am soo excited about my tummy tuck.  I had major pain for both I have a very high level of pain tolerance and this surgery surely kicked my butt as well my poor boyfriend had to endure it with me thank god I had him and my sister to help me because I couldn't do much he wouldn't even let me drive for like a month and I truly didn't feel the need to.   Congrats again to u. Xoxo

RNY 07/05/11 dr klein!!! love it soo happy xxoo!!
stephintexas
on 4/26/14 10:00 pm

Are you doing a TT or LBL? I'm wondering if the TT will be easier for you after doing those two procedures together.

pineview01
on 4/26/14 1:10 pm, edited 4/26/14 1:10 pm - Davison, MI

Which procedure is the hardest for you?  My PS won't even let me have lipo with the thigh lift.  I was going to see about the arms but after the advise here not to do arms and legs at the same time due to mobility I didn't ask.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

stephintexas
on 4/26/14 10:00 pm

The LBL, for sure. But I had the lipo and Brazilian butt lift with it. Plus, I had the nerve pain. It literally feels like parts of the skin around the incision is being stabbed at times. We couldn't figure out what it was until I was in for my first check up after surgery (8 days after surgery) and we were changing my garment to a compression girdle and I thought she got my skin hung in the zipper and I was yelling. The spot that was hurting was nowhere near the zipper. They realized then I was having nerve pain and until then, I thought I was just losing my mind.  The nurse in recovery kept telling me to "stop hollering" because the pain "couldn't be THAT bad." It really was bad at first.

The arms are starting to pull a bit. Not in a really painful way, more uncomfortable. The most uncomfortable are the incisions that run from my breast across the bottom, under my arm and up my back near the armpit. It's the bra line lift only the incision goes up instead of across and instead of a full Breast lift (I had one 5 years ago), we did a breast fold repair and he extended the incision so include the upper body lift.

I am going to try to post pics today. That will help illustrate it. I think the LBL by itself would be very manageable. Arms and the upper body lift together was a bit much. I'd recommend doing arms alone. That's good advice here.

sweetvania
on 4/27/14 12:18 am - mississauga, Canada

I agree with the mobility issues with both procedures thats a definite thing. MMake sure you have help! And I'm doing tummy tuck only not lbl maybe next year I will do breast and butt lift.  Need to save some money first.

RNY 07/05/11 dr klein!!! love it soo happy xxoo!!
Most Active